- The Valheim incompatible version error prevents you from enjoying a local multiplayer game.
- This Valheim incompatible version error after the update can be caused by game version discrepancies.
- You can solve this problem by updating the game files on the player's PCs.
- Another solution is to also update the files on the remote server.
Valheim is an excellent survival game that allows you to play with up to 9 players on a local host. However, your enthusiasm can crush badly since you may get an incompatible version error.
This issue on Windows 10 is obviously caused by an inconsistency between the game versions installed on the player’s PCs and the version from the remote server.
As complicated as it sounds, this problem has a very quick solution so stay with us to learn how to fix it.
How can I fix the Valheim incompatible version error?
1. Update the player’s game files
- Go to your Steam library on your PC.
- Right click on Valheim and select Properties from the list of options.
- Click on the Updates tab and download any available uptates.
Obviously, the best way to deal with this problem is to update the game files on your PC and suggest for everyone to do the same on their machines. After that, you will have the latest game files for Valheim on your PC.
Steam has an auto-update feature so regularly, you should have the latest updates installed but if that feature is deactivated, you can perform a manual update procedure as shown above.
2. Update the remote server
- Perform a backup for all the files from the installation folder of Valheim in case anything goes wrong.
- Download and install SteamCMD.
- Create a new file, name it Update.bat and place it in Valheim’s installation folder.
- Type the following line in the file and save the file afterwards:
[SteamCMD directory] + login anonymous + force_install_dir [Valheim installation directory] + app_update 896660 validate + exit
- Now run the Update.bat file (That will update the Valheim servers ro the latest version).
Sometimes it’s not enough to update only the player’s game versions and you also need to make sure that also the remote server is updated to the latest version.
Steam is updating the servers every time after a game update, but you can also force that process yourself by using the steps above but make sure you perform a backup before starting the procedure.
That’s it! You should now be able to enjoy the Valheim local remote server game with your peers. Now that you can play it, read our guide on how to significantly boost Valheim’s FPS.
Also, if you’ve experienced any lag on the dedicated servers, here’s an excellent guide to fix that problem.
Whatever the problems, Valheim is still a great addictive game so hit the link below to get your own copy now.
ValheimNow that all your Valheim versions are the same, start gearing up and conquer this awesome survival game.
If you’ve succeeded to fix the Valheim incompatible version error by using our solutions leave us a comment below.