Viber’s new official universal Windows 10 app is reportedly near to the public release. As the word spreads around internet, Viber already started to send invites to select users, to participate in a closed beta testing of the new Windows 10 app.
These invites mean that developers are finished with developing the app, but they just need some feedback from users, to make sure everything is in place. Viber used to accept all interested users to participate in the close beta, but unfortunately all spots have been filled, so if you didn’t sign up by now, you’ll have to wait for the full version to arrive in the Store.
However, we don’t have the official release date of the app from Viber, but we’re sure that it will hit the Store as soon as the company makes sure it works properly, and as soon as any potential bugs are removed.
Viber migrating to UWP
You probably already know that Viber apps are already available on both Windows 10 and Windows 10 Mobile. But, these are separate apps, originally made for Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8.1. So, Viber now wants to unify two apps into a brand new Windows 10 app. Of course, the new app is going to be a UWP one, which means that it will work on every Windows 10-powered device.
[irp posts=”27523″ name=”Best Windows 10 VoIP apps and clients for free calls”]
Viber and Microsoft originally announced the new app at last year’s BUILD conference, but since then, we didn’t hear much about it. Also, the current app received the last update in September 2015, which means that Viber definitely plans to abandon it.
Here are some of the key features of the new Viber app for Windows 10:
- “Text with your friends and make free calls with HD sound quality
- Send stickers, emoticons, photos and locations
- Download stickers from the Sticker Market, making messaging fun!
- Hold & Talk – instant voice messages. Your friend will hear you as you speak!
- Live Tiles, lock screen notifications, and the ability to pin chats to the home screen
- Select chat backgrounds from the background gallery
- Full sync between your mobile phone and computer”
So, as you can see, the new app doesn’t offer anything new, except cross-platform compatibility. However, we’re curious to see if the new app will come with any kind of Cortana integration, since Microsoft aims to integrate its virtual assistant with as many new apps as possible.
Viber is certainly one of the most popular communication services it the world, and its presence in the Store will mean a lot to Microsoft. More than 500 million users are currently using Viber on a monthly basis. And while its popularity can’t compare with WhatsApp, which has 1 billion monthly active users, Viber is actually more popular than Microsoft’s Skype (around 300 million monthly users), which is a bit surprising, knowing how much effort Microsoft puts in its service.
Are you excited about the upcoming Viber app for Windows 10, and what do you expect from it? Tell us your opinion in the comments.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- TD Ameritrade releases first UWP app for Windows 10
- Titanfall 2 teaser trailer looks wonderful: Xbox One and Windows 10
- Cortana now translates French, German, Italian and Spanish in Windows 10
- BT Sport brings its universal Windows 10 app to UK users