- VPNs can be used for a lot of reasons, from keeping you anonymous online to bypassing geo-restrictions.
- However, what you probably didn't know about VPNs is that they can also bypass parental controls.
- Whether the parental controls are set on your laptop, desktop PC, or smartphone, VPNs can circumvent them.
- The toughest challenge in this situation is actually deploying the VPN, which can be easily blocked.
It’s already well-established that VPNs are versatile tools, but can they bypass parental controls?
We know of VPNs that they’re great at keeping you anonymous online and increasing your connection’s security.
Furthermore, they can circumvent geo-restrictions to let you access websites that aren’t available in your region.
So technically, VPNs should also be able to bypass parental controls, right?
Let’s find out.
How does parental control work?
The way parental controls (also called parental restrictions) work is by blacklisting/whitelisting certain content.
For instance, if you have children in your household, you can apply parental controls to limit what they can access online.
Parental restrictions usually apply to online games, gambling websites, online shops, porn websites, and even social platforms for more restrictive parents.
These restrictions also apply to schools, so that their students can’t access various content while connected to the school’s network.
Fortunately for some, and unfortunately for others, VPNs are also great at bypassing parental controls.
Their famous geo-restriction bypassing technique works surprisingly well at going around parental restrictions since they work in the same way.
And the most important aspect is that they work in every environment where you could set parental controls.
- Private Internet Access - Access content across the globe at the highest speed rate.
- NordVPN - Secure multiple devices and enjoy stable connections anywhere.
- SurfShark - Price convenient VPN service with all-rounded security features.
- CyberGhost - Connect to thousands of servers for persistent seamless browsing.
- ExpressVPN - Browse the web from multiple devices with increased security protocols.
How does VPN bypass parental controls?
Currently, the most common places to set such restrictions are:
🖥️ Desktop computers
📱Handheld devices (Smartphones, tablets)
The way a VPN works in this situation is by re-routing your connection and masking everything that may link you to your real online identity (IP address, DNS, location).
Furthermore, some parental control apps have this feature that provides caretakers with detailed reports about children’s online activity.
A VPN is able to go as far as to render these reports useless by hiding your online activity.
How can I bypass parental controls with a VPN?
- Get a VPN subscription (we recommend ExpressVPN)
- Download the VPN installer from the website.
- Install the VPN client on your device.
- Launch the VPN and login into your account.
- Connect to a server of your choice (nearby servers are usually the fastest)
That’s it, you should now have absolutely no restriction as to what you can visit online.
ExpressVPN is the most secure VPN software you can use to bypass different restrictions like geo-blocking or parental control limitations.
This privacy tool offers an incredibly fast server network that contains thousands of IP addresses in 94 countries.
In terms of blocked content, you can count on ExpressVPN because it is a VPN to bypass Wi-Fi restrictions and unblock your streaming platforms or entertainment webpages.
You should also be aware that you can have the latest encryption tools and smart technology like split tunneling, TrustedServer, or a network kill switch.
Last but not least, this VPN will bring you its own private DNS address for each server you connect to.
Check out ExpressVPN main features:
- Encrypted DNS address on each server
- VPN Speed test tool
- Cutting-edge 256-bit encryption
- No activity or connection logs
- Compatibility with any device (Windows, macOS, Linux, iOS, or Android)
Unblock any content limitations like parental control from your device using this leading VPN software.
All things considered, a VPN can easily bypass parental controls. As long as you have permission/privileges to install a VPN on your device, that is.
However, note that free VPNs may not work as intended and might even give away that you’re trying to circumvent parental controls.
Your connection is not secure - websites you visit can find out your details:
- Your IP Address:
Companies can sell this information, alongside your location and internet provider name, and profit from it by serving targeted ads or monitoring your data usage.
We recommend Private Internet Access, a VPN with a no-log policy, open source code, ad blocking and much more; now 79% off.