Some users have reported that their VPN is not working with their Asus router. This problem seems to apply to a wide range of Asus routers, and also VPN services.
Encountering this issue when you need access to the Internet is extremely annoying, especially if it worked fine until that moment. The error might be caused by the changing protocols that came with the latest firmware of your router or just because of wrong settings.
In this article, we will explore some of the best ways to fix this problem, so let’s get started.
What to do if VPN doesn’t work with Asus router?
1. Check and update your Asus router firmware to the latest version
- Open your preferred browser software -> navigate to this link.
- Inside the Asus control panel -> select Administration -> System.
- Select Check to find out if there are any updates available.
- Click on Firmware Upgrade.
- Wait for the process to complete.
- Power off your router for 30 seconds -> turn it back on -> check to see if the issue persists.
2. Check if your Windows Firewall is blocking access for the VPN software
- Click on Cortana search box -> type in Control Panel -> select the first option.
- Click on Windows Defender Firewall.
- Select Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall.
- Find your VPN software in the list -> allow connection.
- Close Windows Defender Firewall and check to see if the issue persists.
Note: In case you’re using antivirus software that has a built-in firewall system, please follow the next method.
3. Allow your VPN software to access the web from antivirus software
Note: These steps will vary depending on the antivirus software you’re using. Here are the steps to follow if you’re using BitDefender:
- Open BitDefender by double-clicking the icon inside your taskbar.
- In the Firewall section -> select Settings.
- Type the name of your VPN service inside the search box -> make sure the button next to the option is toggled On.
- Close BitDefender and check to see if the issue persists.
4. Edit your VPN settings inside the Asus dashboard
- Open your browser -> type in 192.168.1.1 -> press Enter.
- Enter your username and password (default is admin for both fields).
- Inside the router settings -> select VPN Server.
- Setup a DDNS address by selecting the Click here to set DDNS option.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finish this process.
- Enable the option PPTP Server.
- Create a login ID and password -> click the ‘+’ icon.
- Click the Apply button.
- Wait for the process to finish -> check to see if this fixed your problem.
There you go, a few solutions that you might find helpful if your VPN isn’t working with the Asus router. Please feel free to let us know if this guide helped you, by using the comment section below.
- VPN not working on VirtualBox [STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE]
- There was a problem connecting to the wireless display [EXPERT FIX]
- Can’t install Asus Smart Gesture driver on Windows 10 [FULL FIX]