- Gamers may have their own reasons why they use VPNs, including increased privacy.
- More so, many of them have different criteria when it comes to choosing a VPN.
- If you want to read more about this type of software, check out our dedicated VPN Hub.
- Avid gamers should also read the articles we've covered on our Gaming page as well.
Gaming has become a subject of ever-increasing importance as year after year the gaming industry generates more and more revenue.
With such a growing business endeavor, it is no wonder that players would choose to use more and more protective measures.
Thus, since professional gaming is non-existent without an online component, VPNs have become a go-to solution for gamers to improve the level of their privacy.
A survey revealed how most gamers use their VPN
PCMag together with IGN ran a survey regarding VPN usage while PC gaming over a period of 8 days, during which they had 770 participants.
Here’s a complete rundown of what the survey revealed:
- In terms of why they use VPNs, 58% of gamers said that they needed them to protect their privacy
- When asked what do they look for when choosing a VPN, 60.9% chose speed, with 51.3% also going for security features, and 58.6% also mentioned the cost.
Unfortunately, many gamers added as a side note that VPNs make them feel safer from trolls. That isn’t the case, since trolling is just a part of social interaction between users, and there is no way a VPN can moderate that.
Normally, online gaming isn’t the best environment to use VPNs on. First of all, most games have their own inherent forms of protecting user privacy.
Secondly, all VPNs affect one’s latency to a certain degree, even the best ones. Of course, this doesn’t mean that VPNs should be used since there are plenty of fantastic VPNs out there that have minimal impact on one’s gaming performance.
Admittedly, one big plus of using a VPN is that it does protect a player from DDOS attacks, and that can definitely come in handy at times.
Do you use a VPN when gaming? Let us know by leaving us a message in the comments section below.