Windows 10 Anniversary Update FAQ: What you need to know for the rollout
The Anniversary Update is here and we’re sure users have plenty of questions about this upgraded version of Windows 10. To help you make the transition easier, we’ve compiled a list below of frequently asked questions about the Anniversary Update.
1. What is the Windows 10 Anniversary Update?
The Windows 10 Anniversary Update, version 1607, is the current major revision of Windows 10.
2. When did Microsoft release the Windows 10 Anniversary Update?
August 2nd, 2016.
3. Is the Windows 10 Anniversary Update free?
It was a free upgrade until July 29. Windows users who use assistive technologies can still upgrade for free. However, Microsoft will soon end this offer too.
4. I upgraded to Windows 10, then downgraded to my previous version of Windows 7 or Windows 8. Can I still get the Windows 10 Anniversary Update for free?
“You will need to determine if your initial Windows 10 upgrade was activated. If it was, then the machine should have a Digital License. If it does, you can upgrade to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update; it should automatically reactivate.”
5. Which editions will the Windows 10 Anniversary Update be available in?
– Windows 10 Home Anniversary Update
– Windows 10 Pro Anniversary Update
– Windows 10 Enterprise Anniversary Update
– Windows 10 Education Anniversary Update
– Windows 10 Mobile Anniversary Update
6. Is build 14393 of Windows 10 made available August 2nd, 2016 recommended for everyday use?
“The Windows 10 (which was made available to the general public on August 2nd, 2016) is a complete copy of the software that is designated as ready and fit for use in production environments. To reach this milestone, a particular build has to go through a series of thorough regression test and optimizations to reach a level of quality satisfactory for production. Unlike pre-release builds of Windows 10, the Windows 10 available today does not expire.”
7. I own multiple computers. Do I have to download Windows 10 on each computer?
You can download the .ISO file, then upgrade each computer offline. The Windows 10 Anniversary Update ISO file was launched on August 2 as well.
8. How will I get the final release of Windows 10 1607?
“The public release of the next major update will be delivered through Windows Update.”
9. Will the Windows 10 Anniversary Update keep my personal files, applications, and settings?
“Yes, your personal files, applications and settings will be preserved.”
11. I already have USB Windows 10 Recovery Drive (build 10240 or 10586). Will I need to update this thumb drive?
“Yes, you will need to create a new USB thumb drive with the Windows 10 Anniversary Update files.”
12. I want to dual boot instead of replace my current version of Windows.
“If you need to install Windows 10 Anniversary Update on a separate hard disk or partition, you will need to purchase a full license.”
13. I don’t want to purchase Windows 10 Anniversary Update, I just want to evaluate it.
“You can download the Windows 10 Enterprise 90 day trial. You can also setup Windows 10 in a Virtual Machine if your computer is powerful enough.”
14. What are the minimum system requirements to run the Windows 10 Anniversary Update?
- Latest OS: Make sure you are running the latest version either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.
- Processor: 1GHz or faster processor or SoC
- RAM: 1 GB for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
- Hard disk space: 16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
- Graphics card: DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
- Display: 1024 x 600
15. The upgrade is reporting I do not have enough space.
- “If you are running Windows 8 and earlier, see: How to free up disk space in Windows .
- If you are running Windows 10 or later, see: How to Install Windows 10 on Devices with Limited Space“
16. If I buy Windows 10 Home or Pro today, will I get the free upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary Update?
“Yes, computers running Windows 10 are eligible for a free upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary Update.”
17. What about computers running earlier versions of Windows, such as Windows 7 or Windows 8?
“Computers running earlier versions of Windows 7 or Windows 8 must upgrade to Windows 10 before July 29th in order to be eligible for the free upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary Update. If you do not upgrade before then, you will need to purchase Windows 10.”
18. How can I check if I have the Windows 10 Anniversary Update installed?
“Press Windows key + R then type: winver. Hit Enter on your keyboard. Look at the OS version number which is 14393 or later.”
19. What are some of the new features and improvements in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update?
- What to expect from Microsoft Edge in the Anniversary Update for Windows 10
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update comes with improvements to the Action Center
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update brings accessibility improvements
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update overhauls Tablet Mode
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update further updates the Start Menu
- Here’s what’s changed in Settings with Windows 10 Anniversary Update
20. When does the Windows 10 Anniversary Update Previews expire?
October 1st, 2016.
21. I have updated to the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, but I would like to leave the Windows 10 Insider Program.
“Click Start > Settings > Update & security > Windows Insider Program > Stop Insider Preview Builds. Please note, you must have upgraded from a genuine, activated Windows 7 or Windows 10 license in order to do this or consider purchasing a full license.”
22. I left the Windows 10 Insider Program, but Windows is asking me to activate.
“If you leave the Windows 10 Insider Program, you must have a genuine Windows 7 or Windows 8 qualifying license to activate Windows 10.”
23. Suppose I do not like the Windows 10 Anniversary Update. How do I go back to my previous build or version of Windows?
Yes, you can roll back to a previous version of Windows.
24. How can I submit feedback about Windows 10 1607 when I install it?
Click Start, type Feedback and then hit Enter.
25. Is there a forum I can post questions to and share feedback about my experiences with Windows 10 Redstone?
Yes, you can use the dedicated Windows 10 Insider Forums.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Is my computer ready for Windows 10 Anniversary Update?
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update: The Top 6 Things To Know
- Microsoft will roll out Windows 10 Preview Builds even after the Anniversary Update is released
The thought of producing EDM (electronic dance music) may have crossed your mind several times especially if you are a content creator, budding music artist […]
No matter if you run a business or not, if you want store data, QNAP (Quality Network Appliance Provider) Systems is probably the answer you […]
We have all sorts of applications on our PC, but sometimes certain apps can become grayed out and unable to remove. This can be a […]