Microsoft acknowledges Windows 10 April Update freezes PCs
Many Windows 10 April Update users complained about random computer freezes after installing the update. As we pointed out in a previous post, this problem is indeed related to using Google Chrome and other Windows 10 built-in apps.
Well, Microsoft has now officially acknowledged the problem and promised to deliver a hotfix on May 8.
Microsoft is aware that some devices running the Windows 10 April 2018 Update (version 1803) may hang or freeze when using certain apps, such as “Hey Cortana” or Chrome.
Microsoft is working on a solution with the goal of including it in the next regular monthly update, currently targeted for a release date of May 8, 2018.
The company also offered two temporary workarounds that you can use until the hotfix is deployed:
- Try a Windows key sequence to wake the screen. So, if you have a keyboard connected, press the Windows logo key + Ctrl + Shift + B at the same time. If you’re using a tablet, then press both the volume-up and volume-down buttons, three times within 2 seconds. If this quick workaround did the trick, you should hear a short beep sound and the screen will blink or dim while the OS refreshes the screen.
- If you’re experiencing these OS freezes on a laptop, try closing and opening the laptop lid.
For additional information on how to fix computer freezes, check out the troubleshooting guides below:
- Discrete GPU is still causing frequent micro-freezes on Windows 10 [FIX]
- Full Fix: Apps Freeze in Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- Full Fix: Windows 10, 8.1 Build Freezes on Login
Errors like the avipbb.sys can be very frustrating for a beginner to fix. Even some professionals might encounter issues while fixing this error. Having this […]
Microsoft releases another batch of cumulative updates for various versions of Windows 10 on the third Tuesday of the month. Although the update brings plenty of […]
Photos is Windows 10’s default image viewer that users utilize to browse images libraries and print pictures with. However, some users have stated that Photos […]