Edge gets major updates with Windows 10 Build 14986
Microsoft has released the Windows 10 Build 14986 for Insiders on the Fast Ring with a slew of major updates for the Edge browser and the web platform. The latest release now supports three extensions: Ebates Cash Back, Intel TrueKey, and Read & Write. Windows 10 Insiders running Windows 10 Build 14986 can download the extensions from the Windows Store.
The new TrueKey extension from Intel makes it easy for users to log in to websites using Windows Hello on Microsoft Edge. Ebates Cash Back displays coupons and cash back offers for online stores you visit. While the second extension seems to be of little use, Read & Write for Microsoft Edge aims to improve online text editors including Word Online and OneNote. With this extension, users can now listen to an entire Word document via text-to-speech directly from Word Online.
For the web platform, Microsoft rolled out support for the Brotli compressed data format as an HTTP content-encoding method. Take note that the Brotli support is on by default. Build 14986 also supports individual transform syntax for CSS transforms.
Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14986 also intends to cater to the new W3C Web Authentication specifications by refreshing the MS-prefixed FIDO 2.0 implementation. There’s also a partial support for CSS Custom Properties or CSS Variables as part of the update.
Other new features for Microsoft Edge’s web platform include:
- Preliminary implementation of the Payment Request DOM API (Behind a flag)
- Preliminary support for the IntersectionObserver API
- Core platform support for Fetch abstraction (behind a flag)
- Async/await is on by default (previously behind a flag)
- DOM performance improvements
Microsoft also rolled out the following developer tools:
- Console filter settings will persist for buttons and context menu.
- Improved ES6 Modules debugging experience
- Fixed an issue that prevented attaching the F12 Developer Tools to Windows web apps
- Windows 10 Insider builds ‘paused’ for now as Microsoft prepares something huge
- Xbox Preview program to be renamed to Insider
One of the issues that affect the otherwise awesome HP Connection Manager utility is the HP connection manager fatal error problem. The program, created to […]
Do you know that Windows 7‘s official support ends in a year’s time? I bet you don’t! By January 2020, if your system still runs […]