- There are two ways how can install windows on external hard drive SSD/HDD for Mac, you can use Boot Camp or you can use a virtual machine. If you decide to use Boot Camp you can create a separate partition just for Windows 10, and you can boot your iMac directly into Windows 10.
- Using Boot Camp also has some benefits such as improved performance because it uses the full hardware power of your iMac.
- Do you want to be up to date with the latest news and tips about Windows 10? Then go straight to our Windows 10 category.
- It's never late to learn some new things about everything connected to your software and devices. Our Tech Tutorials Hub is the perfect place to start that.
Windows 10 is here as a free upgrade for many PC users, but what if you’re a Mac user? If you are Mac user and you want to run Windows 10 on iMac, today we’re going to show you two ways how can you do that.
There are two ways how can you run Windows 10 on iMac, you can use Boot Camp or you can use a virtual machine. If you decide to use Boot Camp you can create separate partition just for Windows 10, and you can boot your iMac directly into Windows 10.
Using Boot Camp also has some benefits such as improved performance because it uses the full hardware power of your iMac.
Before we start, you should know that most Macs from late 2012 can run Windows 10, but make sure that your computer is on the list here. Our previous guide was referring to the preview version of Windows 10 and not the final one.
How can I install Windows 10 on iMac using Boot Camp?
Firstly you need to download the 64-bit version of Windows 10 Disc Image from here. Next, you’ll need a 16GB or more USB flash drive to add Windows 10 installer to it. Great thing is that Boot Camp is now updated and it supports Windows 10 on 64-bit iMacs, but make sure that you check for all available updates.
Also, make sure that you have at least 30GB of free space on your hard drive.
If you have Windows 10 ISO downloaded open the Boot Camp Assistant and check Create a Windows 10 install disk, and Install Windows 10. Connect your USB drive and select Windows 10 .iso file.
Now Boot Camp will transfer Windows 10 install to your USB along with some of its drivers. This process might take some time, so you’ll need to be patient.
This is crucial, you need to partition your hard drive since one partition will be used to run Windows 10, while others will run Mac OS. Like we said earlier 30GB or more should be enough for Windows 10. When you have this completed you can click Install and Windows 10 installation will start.
During the installation process, your Windows might restart a few times, and you might have to wait on We’re getting our apps ready screen for 10 on more minutes.
After all of this is finished your computer will reboot into Windows 10, but if it doesn’t you can hold Option / Alt key and choose which operating system you want to run Mac OS or Windows 10. Enter your product key and select Windows Boot Camp partition to install Windows on.
Follow the installation and you should boot into Windows 10 when you’re finished.
In the end, you need to locate Boot Camp drivers that are on your USB stick and install them.
How do I install Windows 10 on iMac using VirtualBox?
Another way of installing Windows 10 on your iMac is by using virtual machine. There are all sorts of solutions available, but we’ll show you how to install it using a freeware tool called VirtualBox.
Before we start make sure that you have downloaded VirtualBox and Windows 10 ISO.
- Press the New button in the VirtualBox toolbar and name your virtual machine, for example, Windows 10, and in the Type field select Microsoft Windows. Then click Continue.
- As you may know, virtual machine software runs with your OS, so it needs to borrow some of your computer’s resources.
- Select the amount of memory that you want to assign to the virtual machine, for example, 2GB or more, and then click Continue.
- Now, you’ll be asked to assign hard drive space to your virtual machine. The recommended amount of hard drive space is usually enough. Choose Create a virtual hard disk now and click Create. You’ll be asked what kind of drive you want to create, and VDI is usually the best option.
- Next screen will ask you if you wish to dynamically assign memory when needed or do you wish to assign all of it right away. Usually the better option is to choose Dynamically allocated.
- You have now created your virtual machine. Now just press Start to start it.
- Next find your Windows 10 ISO file.
- Follow the instructions and complete the installation.
That’s all, now you know how to install Windows 10 on iMac with both Boot Camp and using Virtual Box.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can, and the best tool you can do that with is Boot Camp. You can also use a virtual machine like VirtualBox.
Open Finder and go to Applications > Utilities and double click on Boot Camp Assistant. Next, set the partition size for Windows. After you create the partition, you will see the BOOTCAMP icon on your desktop. Next, insert your Windows 7 DVD and click on Start installation. When you are prompted, select the Bootcamp partition to install Windows.
The best way to running Windows on a Mac is by using the Boot Camp tool. However, you will not be able to run both systems at the same time. You will have to switch from one to another. If you want to run both of them at the same time you will have to use virtualization software like VirtualBox.