Microsoft gets rid of its Windows 10 Lumia stock
It’s a brand new year, but 2017 also means the end of Microsoft’s Lumia phones running Windows 10 Mobile. The software giant seems to have indefinitely stopped selling the Lumia family of smartphones through the Microsoft Store. Also, Microsoft is not looking to restock the phones at all.
The software giant announced that the Lumia 650 would be the last of its kind during the phone’s launch earlier this year. Over the last couple of months, Microsoft also scaled back production of the Lumia phones. In December, the company finally ran out of stock for all unlocked versions of the four Windows 10 Mobile devices on its U.S. store. The Lumia 950 and 950 XL smartphones were the ones to quickly sell out after Microsoft cut their prices to $249 and $299 respectively last month.
If you happen to check out the Microsoft Store now, the following Windows 10 Mobile devices are out of stock as well:
- Unlocked Acer Liquid Jade Primo Bundle
- AT&T – Microsoft Lumia 640 XL
- AT&T – Microsoft Lumia 950
- Unlocked Microsoft Lumia 550
- Unlocked Microsoft Lumia 650 Dual SIM
- Microsoft Lumia 950 – Unlocked
- Unlocked Microsoft Lumia 950 XL
- Verizon – Microsoft Lumia 735
Nonetheless, you can still purchase these phones from third-party retailers or wireless carriers, though these handsets are not likely to be restocked once they run out. Lumia’s dwindling market share at the moment all the more makes things worse for this family of smartphones.
Right now, only the following handsets are available to purchase from the Microsoft Store (U.S.):
- Acer Liquid M330 – $79.99
- BLU Win HD LTE – $149
- BLU Win JR LTE – $99
- HP Elite x3 with Desk Dock – $799
- HP Elite x3 + Lap Dock Bundle – $1,298
But it doesn’t necessarily mean the end of Microsoft’s smartphone department. As we reported recently, the Redmond giant is preparing to launch a brand new category of phones this year, dubbed the Surface Phone. Coupled with Qualcomm’s Snapdragon processors, things might be looking promising for Windows 10 Mobile in 2017.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Microsoft to end Lumia smartphone sales by the end of this year
- Nadella confirms Microsoft isn’t stepping away from Windows phones
- Here are the potential specs for Microsoft’s Surface phone
Virtual machines are great tools to share folders between different operating systems such as Windows and Linux. However, Windows shortcuts and Linux symbolic links might […]