Windows 10 Preview build 14379 fixes issues with the Action Center, Centennial apps, and more
Microsoft yesterday released a new build for Windows 10 Preview and Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview. The build is called 14379, and it is already available to all Insiders on the Fast ring.
If you follow what’s going on at Microsoft, and with the upcoming Anniversary Update for Windows 10, you probably guessed that this build hasn’t bring any new features, but instead was focused on bug fixes and system improvements.
Windows 10 Anniversary Update arrives August 2nd, while Microsoft will stop offering Windows 10 as a free upgrade to Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 on July 29th. With that in mind, the company surely has more important business to handle than revealing new features, one month before the update kicks off.
As for build 14379 itself, it introduced a few improvements and bug fixes for both Windows 10 Preview and Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview. It fixed known issues with the Action Center, Start Menu, and more.
What’s new in Windows 10 Preview build 14379
Here’s what Microsoft fixed in build 14379 for Windows 10 Preview and Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview:
“Improvements and fixes for PC
- We fixed an issue where the size of the Credential UI might not be big enough to display the contents on a PC with High DPI.
- We fixed an issue where Action Center might crash after dismissing a large number of notifications.
- We fixed an issue where Centennial app launches from Start or Cortana wouldn’t count towards those apps bubbling up in Start’s “Most used” list.
- We fixed an issue where no note would have keyboard focus after minimizing then reopening the Sticky Notes app.
Improvements and fixes for Mobile
- We fixed an issue that could result in a stray focus rectangle becoming visible in certain apps, such as Groove or Cortana, after bringing up the keyboard.
- We fixed an issue where the aspect ratio of images on live tile wasn’t preserved if they need to be shrunk, leading to them appearing stretched.”
Unlike the previous build for Windows 10 Preview, build 14379 actually has some known issues, revealed by Microsoft. Here’s what you should expect upon installing this build:
“Known issues for PC
- Using Continuum from your phone on your PC via the Connect app will not work. This should be fixed in the next build.
Known issues for Mobile
- You can open PDFs in Microsoft Edge but won’t be able to use touch to interact with the PDF (such as scrolling, pan or zoom). When you try to use touch to interact with a PDF, it will constantly reload the PDF.
- We’ve heard you and we are investigating decreases in battery life on older devices such as the Lumia 830, 930, and 1520.
- We’re also investigating Wi-Fi disconnect issues – if you are experiencing an issue with your Wi-Fi disconnecting, please see this forum post and make sure to upvote Wi-Fi disconnecting issues in the Feedback Hub.
- REMINDER: We have changed the backup format for Windows 10 Mobile devices to reduce the size of the backup stored in OneDrive. As a result, if you do a backup on a device running the latest Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview builds and move back to the released version of Windows 10 Mobile (Build 10586) and restore from your backup – your Start screen layout won’t restore and remain the default Start layout. Your previous backup also gets overwritten. If you need to go back to Build 10586 temporarily, once you are on Build 10586 you should disable backup so it doesn’t overwrite the good backup from Windows 10 Mobile Insider Preview builds.”
As always, we’re going to write an article about problems reported by actual users. So, if you encountered some issue upon installing build 14379, that Microsoft didn’t list before, feel free to let us know in the comments, and we’ll include your issue into our report.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Windows 10 Mobile build 10586.456 now available for Insiders on the Release Preview ring
- Windows 10 Anniversary Update scheduled for August 2 release: What are its improvements?
- Windows 10 Preview build 14376 causes lot of issues for Insiders, despite Microsoft’s insistence on the opposite
- Microsoft removes Messaging Everywhere from Windows 10 with the latest Preview build
Many users have reported Internet connection sharing error 1053 when trying to start the Internet Connection Sharing services (ICS). After our research regarding this error […]
According to some Reddit users, Windows 10 v1903 caused problems for .ogg extension files. In other words, they can’t play .ogg files on their computers […]
Many users complained on Reddit that Windows 10 v1903 update often gets stuck. One user says that is getting the What Needs Your Attention message. […]