Windows 10 build 14946 addresses server-side issues
Today, Microsoft released the Windows 10 build 14946 to Insiders in the Fast ring and it comes bearing gifts. The latest build includes new feature additions, a wide range of fixes and the PC additions mainly includes a new trackpad and Wi-Fi settings.
The company further addresses that if a PC is running a misconfigured Insider Preview build, they are introducing some server-side changes to change that. It happens when a user installs a build from an ISO, but didn’t opt into the Insider Program afterward, so they basically run without an update. Such users will be put on the Slow ring. And if a problem persists with their Microsoft account they’ll be able to locate “Fix me” button in settings. After that, they’ll be placed in the Release Preview ring.
Dona and the Windows Insider team, published a few technically specific details that will help those who are not aimed accurately for receiving updates by putting them in the slow ring:
“Some Windows Insiders who have pre-release builds on their PCs are not targeted correctly for receiving updates because they have not opted into receiving Insider Preview builds by having selected a valid ring or are in some other misconfigured state. To re-target these PCs, we are making a server-side change that will put these PCs in the Slow ring so that they can receive updates. Specifically:
Going forward, any build from our Development Branch installed on a PC will be put into the Slow ring. This includes if you installed a Development Branch build from an ISO or later reset the device.
For PCs on the Windows 10 Anniversary Update that were previously opted in to receiving builds but see a “Fix me” button on the Windows Insider Program settings page because they no longer have a registered Microsoft account attached will be put in the Release Preview ring.”
You can edit the settings by going to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program.
As expected, there are several fixes and repairs included in the latest build. Here’s what was fixed and updated in Windows 10 for PCs build 14946:
- Optional components such as Hyper-V and Bash should remain installed after updating to this build.
- We have fixed the issue where signing into games that use Xbox Live would not work. You should be able to sign-in to Xbox Live in games in this build.
- We fixed the issue causing Microsoft Edge to sometimes crash on launch, or when you type in address bar or try to open a new tab. You no longer need to run the PowerShell script.
- We fixed the issue causing touch scrolling to be too sensitive in Windows 10 apps, such as Microsoft Edge.
- We fixed an issue where Explorer.exe would hang when attempting to open considerably large .MOV files.
- We fixed an issue that could result in the network icon occasionally getting into a state where a red X would display in the taskbar despite an active internet connection, until the device had been restarted.
- We fixed an issue where if the device’s brightness was automatically adjusted after being woken from sleep, the brightness level shown in the Action Center’s Brightness Quick Action might not reflect the current brightness of the device.
- We fixed an issue leading to Narrator not tracking focus on the Start Menu All apps list or tiles.
- We fixed an issue potentially resulting in the “Open with…” dialog displaying with two entries for Calculator after tapping the Calculator key on a keyboard or running the Calculator app.
Here are the known issues:
- If you have 3rd party antivirus products such as Bitdefender, Kaspersky Antivirus, F-Secure Antivirus and Malwarebytes installed on your PC – your PC might not be able to complete the update to this build and roll-back to the previous build.
- Larger Windows Store games such as ReCore, Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3, Killer Instinct and Rise of the Tomb Raider may fail to launch.
Have you ever received Are you sure you want to copy this file without its properties message from Windows when you were trying to move […]
The error You do not have the necessary privilege to create new virtual machines appears in the cases in which the user doesn’t have enough […]
Microsoft released their Q4 earnings for 2019 an it’s all good news. The giant registered amazing growth on all departments, increasing its share price by […]