- Sound quality is very important for all computer users, and particularly for audiophiles who are always seeking to enjoy pure audio with the help of the latest audio enhancers and the best audio software.
- But sound problems on Windows 10 computers are more common than you might think, ruining users' audio experience.
- If you can't use the taskbar volume icon to adjust the sound volume on your PC, we compiled this 10 solution list to help you fix the problem.
- This guide is part of our audio troubleshooting hub. Bookmark it to make sure you have it at hand in case you encounter other sound-related issues.
Solution 8 – Change the font size
According to users, this problem can appear due to your text size. You can fix it by doing the following:
- Open the Settings app and navigate to System section.
- Set Change the size of text, apps and other items to any other value.
- Now you just have to log off and log back into your account.
After doing that, your taskbar volume icon should start working again. Now repeat the same steps and change the text size to the original value.
Solution 9 – Disable or uninstall your antivirus
Many users reported that this issue was caused by their antivirus software. To fix the problem, you need to disable or uninstall your antivirus. If disabling the antivirus doesn’t help, you might have to uninstall it.
The best way to do that is to download a dedicated uninstaller tool and use it to completely remove your antivirus.
After removing the antivirus, check if the issue is resolved. Many users reported that this problem was caused by Norton antivirus, but other antivirus tools can cause this issue as well.
If removing your antivirus fixed the problem, you might want to reinstall it or switch to a different antivirus solution.
If you want to switch to a different antivirus solution but you don’t know which is good for you, take a look at article with the best antiviruses available right now.
Solution 10 – Restart Windows Explorer process
If the taskbar volume icon is still unavailable, you might be able to fix it with this workaround. According to users, you can fix this problem simply by restarting Windows Explorer. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open Task Manager.
- List of processes will now appear. Locate Windows Explorer, right-click it and choose Restart from the menu.
After Windows Explorer restarts, the problem should be resolved. Keep in mind that this is just a workaround, so if the problem reappears, you’ll have to repeat this solution.
That’s about it, we hope these solutions helped you to solve the problem with the taskbar volume icon in Windows 10. While the long list of solutions might discourage some users from trying to fix this problem by themselves, rest assured, the instructions are clear and easy to follow.
We’re sure you’ll manage to fix this taskbar volume issue quickly and enjoy a clear and pristine audio experience on Windows 10.
If you have any other sound-related issues in Windows 10, you should check out our article about solving audio problems in Windows 10, for some additional solutions.
Also, if you have any comments, questions, or suggestions, just reach for the comment section below, and we’ll try to assist you further.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in April 2019 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.