Windows 7 KB3192391 addresses authentication and registry vulnerabilities
The latest Patch Tuesday Update brought an important cumulative update for Windows 7 that addresses authentication,registry, and kernel-mode driver vulnerabilities. Cumulative update KB3192391 brings only security updates, which are also included in the first Monthly Update Rollup for Windows 7, KB3185330.
More specifically, KB3192391 addresses seven vulnerabilities in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008. The following vulnerabilities are patched in Windows: Windows authentication methods, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Graphics component, Microsoft Video Control, kernel-mode drivers, Windows registry, and Microsoft Internet Messaging API.
Three of these vulnerabilities are severe ones, allowing attackers to even run a specially crafted application on a domain-joined system. Therefore, installing KB3192391 is essential to keep your system safe.
For more information about these security vulnerabilities, you can check out the following security bulletins:
- MS16-101 Security update for Windows authentication methods
- MS16-118 Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer
- MS16-120 Security update for Microsoft graphics component
- MS16-122 Security update for Microsoft video control
- MS16-123 Security update for kernel-mode drivers
- MS16-124 Security update for Windows registry
- MS16-126 Security update for Microsoft Internet Messaging API
As a quick reminder, if you install a language pack after you install this security update, you must reinstall this update. The best solution is to actually install the language packs before you install KB3192391.
You can download KB3192391 from the Microsoft Update Catalog website. You need to run Internet Explorer 6.0 or later to access the catalogue or you can use this workaround to access it on any browser.
You can also download KB3192391 from the Microsoft Download Center:
- Security Only Quality Update for Windows 7
- Security Only Quality Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems
- Security Only Quality Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 for Itanium-based Systems
- Security Only Quality Update for Windows Server 2008 R2 for x64-based Systems.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Windows 7 KB3193414 breaks Microsoft Security Essentials
- 4 best sound scheme resources for Windows 7
- Improve Windows 7, 8.1 privacy with DoNotSpy78
In this article, we are going to be talking about two November 2018 Patch Tuesday updates – KB4467708 and KB4464455. Both these updates are quality improvement […]
After recent bad news stories about updates released by Microsoft for Windows 10, that you can read here and here, it is refreshing to read (or […]