Windows 8.1, 10 Install Fails on New Retina MacBook, Users Report
Long-time Apple users have issues installing Windows 8.1 on late 2013 Retina MacBook units
We know that the Windows 8.1 install process is plagued with glitches, even making some wanting to uninstall Windows 8.1, which is almost impossible. Now, it seems that many Apple users are unable to install Windows 8.1 via Bootcamp on the recently released late 2013 13-inch and 15-inch Retina MacBook laptops.
The errors while installing Windows 8.1 seems to appear with the partition that Boot Camp creates in order to install Windows 8 or Windows 8.1. Many times, users received freezes and copy errors when trying to install Windows 8.1 hrough a USB drive and DVD installation via external SuperDrive.
Apple users can’t properly install Windows 8.1 on late 2013 MacBook laptops
Many users get the following error message: “Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of the installation. To install Windows, restart the installation.” Most of the users think it is caused by the fact that BootCamp hasn’t updated its drivers for Windows 8.1, and there are threads with thousands of views on that subject, as well. Here is one of the solutions that might work out, shared by a forum member and upvoted by many others:
- setup and update mavericks and reboot
- open boot camp assistant and only check the lower 2 options
- insert a usb flash drive (for boot camp driver install)
- plug in a usb or dvd drive with a retail copy of windows 8 or 8 professional
- select how big you want your partition. I recommend at least 80gb but just a suggestion based on needs.
- when its done creating the windows boot camp usb eject the usb drive before you allow it to restart to install windows.
- when it is at the install screen you will see a message saying that partition 0s4 is unable to install windows. highlight that windows partition and click delete then highlight it and select format.
- click next to proceed with install
- when in win 8 run the boot camp installer and all windows 8 updates. restart
- go to the windows store and select the windows 8.1 update and click install
- after a restart you are at 8.1 Done. Enjoy.
This isn’t the single issue Windows 8.1 is causing for the new Retina MacBook units, as some users have reported lockups with the keyboard and trackpad on the 13-inch version, especially. However, there have been multiple fixes, but there isn’t a solution upvoted by most forum members, so I guess it’s better not to provide it here not to further puzzle you.
We will keep investigating this issue and if we hear of any solutions to the failed Windows 8.1 install on late 2013 Retina MacBook laptops, we will definitely let you know. In the meanwhile, if you also happen to know a fix, even if temporary, do let us know in the comments box from below.
Facebook is reportedly maintaining a list of user data taken directly from their accounts. You might be surprised to know that Facebook’s ex-employees and existing […]
Microsoft Windows Mixed Reality headsets combine VR and AR for gaming and 360-degree video. There are currently more than 2,500 mixed reality games on the […]
A unique Surface Connect cable has recently been introduced by American portable charging solutions startup, J-Go Tech. You can use a power bank or a […]