New freeware tool acts as a Windows OS update blocker
Last week, we reported about an application that lets users control how Microsoft delivers and installs Windows updates. Windows 10 Update Disabler was born out of the lack of an easy mechanism to defer the updates for all users, save for Enterprise customers. If that didn’t fulfill your specific needs, however, developer Sordum has introduced a new freeware that also allows you to manage Windows updates.
Windows Update Blocker is particularly useful when you want to prevent your operating system from automatically downloading and installing updates while you are in the middle of an important task. Sordum notes that Windows 10 currently limits user control over the behavior of OS updates. At the same time, Windows 10 forces the update installation against users’ will. These forced packages sometimes come with unwanted updates except for security fixes.
Unlike the previous versions of Windows, the latest one offers no convenient option to switch off Windows Updates. If you wish to disable Windows Update, you have to open the Services manager and change the service’s startup parameter and status.
Control Windows updates ‘conveniently’
It’s been one of the major concerns users are trying to bring to Microsoft’s attention, but the plea seems to have fallen on deaf ears. Sordum’s Windows Update Blocker promises an easier and more transparent way of controlling those updates, some of which are not necessary.
Here’s how the program works:
- Download Windows Update Blocker from Sordum and extract the file to your desired location.
- Run the executable file and a service status icon will display the Windows Update service status.
- Select Disable Service if you want to turn off automatic Windows updates and click Apply Now.
- You can reverse the change by clicking Enable Service to turn automatic Windows updates on again.
- Choose the Protect Service Settings to prevent Windows or the Services applet from changing your preference.
However, disabling Windows updates is not available all the time. Some updates come with critical security patches and you will miss these fixes if the service is disabled. So use Sordum’s tool or any other related application with caution.
Windows Update Blocker is a portable utility that bypasses the installation process. It works on Windows XP, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, and Windows 10. Also, it does not leave temporary files on your PC’s HDD once you uninstall the software.
- Windows 10 Creators Update to get new BYOD and security features
- Windows 10 KB3201845 brings a lot of issues, makes computers unusable
Installing Android drivers on a PC should be a walk in a park. You connect your handset with the PC via the USB cable and, […]
Do you have NOX installed on your PC? Are you experiencing any form of lag while running it? This article is specially designed for you! […]
Do you have ExpressVPN installed on your PC? Do you encounter connection problems after an update? This guide will help you out. Here, we’ll be […]