Make Xbox Kinect Work with Windows 10 Hello
Along with Windows 10, Microsoft introduced Windows Hello, a feature which allows you to log in to your computer without entering a password, by simply scanning your face. But since Windows Hello requires a special hardware, Microsoft found an alternative, as you’re now able to log in with to Windows Hello with your Kinect.
Xbox users are using Kinect for years, but everyone has been waiting for Microsoft to make use of this motion sensor on the desktop. And now, you’re finally able to use Kinect on Windows 10, without installing any third-party apps.
Windows Hello requires special cameras which scan your face, and let you log in to your computer without entering your login credentials. But not may PCs ship with this piece of hardware, making Windows Hello useless for the majority of users. And since a lot of Windows 10 users, also own an Xbox console, allowing Kinect to communicate with Windows Hello is probably the best alternative.
Unfortunately, if you use an Xbox One Kinect, you’ll have to purchase a $50 adapter to make it work with Windows 10 PC. You also need to edit some registry files to get the support, but we got you covered. You can read the full instructions (provided by Microsoft) below.
How to Make Xbox Kinect Work with Windows Hello
To make Xbox Kinect compatible with your Windows 10 computer, you’ll have to install Kinect developer preview. First thing you need to do is to set up your driver, by tweaking a registry file. Here’s exactly what you need to do:
- Connect your Kinect with your Windows 10 PC
- Go to Search, type regedit, and open Registry Editor
- Go to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\
- Create subkeys \DriverFlighting\Partner\
- Now, under \Partner subkey, create a string named “TargetRing” and set “Drivers” as the value
- Restart your computer
- Now, head to Windows Update to receive necessary drivers
After the drivers are installed, use Device Manager to update to the preview version of the Kinect driver:
- Go to Search, type device manager, and open Device Manager
- Expand “Kinect sensor devices”.
- Right-click on “WDF KinectSensor Interface 0”.
- Click “Update Driver Software…”
- Click “Search automatically for updated driver software”.
- Allow it to download and install the new driver.
- Restart your computer
And finally to set up Windows Hello to log in using your Kinect, follow these instructions:
- Go to Settings > Accounts> Sign-in Options
- Add a PIN (if you haven’t already)
That should be all, if you have some difficulties performing this instructions, check out Microsoft’s official page, for more details.
It’s a beehive of activities with shoppers making several runs to get their favorite supplies for the Christmas celebration. In case you are confused and […]
There have been instances of errors cropping up when trying to open help in Windows 10. The same might also be reminiscent of Windows 8 […]