- Xbox Series X controllers frequently disconnect, gamers say on dedicated forums.
- Microsoft has finally acknowledged the issue and promises a fix.
- Until then, the developers also suggest some workarounds that apply in other situations as well.
- The most important one is to have the latest controller firmware updates installed.
Just as any other piece of hardware, Xbox wireless controllers, no matter their generation, were plagued with bugs. It is also the case with the new controllers launched along with Xbox Series X|S back in November 2020. Microsoft has addressed the issues on an Xbox forum, which has been recently updated to mention the disconnection bugs.
After the scandal with the Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 and the lawsuit filed against the tech giant, Microsoft might come with final fixes faster than they did the last time, to calm down the users.
For now, they address a few known issues such as:
- no button input when connected via Bluetooth on Windows 10
- controller not working with certain Steam games
- frequent disconnections
In each case, Microsoft suggests only workarounds, though, but further stable fixes should be expected with the next console update.
How to fix Xbox Series X|S Wireless Controller issues?
1. No button input when connected via Bluetooth on Windows 10
The recommended workarounds are to make sure that both your Windows 10 device and your controller run on the latest updates.
While Windows 10 updates are installed automatically, optional updates might be also useful. You will find these under View optional updates options in Settings > Update & Security.
As far as controller updates go, check for updates in the Xbox Accessories app.
- Install the app from Microsoft Store, if you don’t have it already.
- Open the app.
- Connect your controller by using a USB cable or the Xbox Wireless Adapter for Windows.
- You should be prompted to install any available updates.
2. Controller not working with certain Steam games
The solution is already included in the Steam client beta, so you will need to join the platform’s beta program for more details.
The changes will only take effect after you’ve restarted Steam.
It’s not clear whether this will be launched for the general public in the near future.
3. Frequent disconnections
For some time now, users have reported controller lag or disconnection when playing AC Valhalla, WD Legion, or Rocket League.
Firmware updates are strongly recommended in this case as well, with the promise that the teams are working on a fix that will be released with a future console update.
Are you too waiting for this stable fixes for one of these bugs? Well, keep and eye on Microsoft’s forum article as it’s updated periodically.
Meanwhile, tell us about your experience with you controller in the comments section.