Error code 0xc0000409 refers to a critical error in Windows 10 and usually has to do with a registry entry that might have become corrupted. No matter how overwhelming the error might seem to be, getting around it is rather easy.
How can I fix Windows 10 error code 0xc0000409?
1. Create an installation media
- You will need the installation media of Windows 10 (either an ISO file or USB) to get started.
- The installation media should be of the same edition and same (or newer) build as the one already installed on your PC. Even the language of the installation media has to be the same as that of the Windows 10 version on your PC.
- If you have 32-bit Windows 10 installed on your device, ensure you are using a 32-bit ISO. Another requisite is that there should be about 9 GB of free space available in the hard disk for the refresh process to complete successfully.
- A repair install won’t delete any of your information even though you will lose all the Windows 10 updates that got installed.
- Before we begin with the process, disable, or uninstall any third party anti-virus software installed on your device.
2. Performing Windows 10 repair install
- Open the Windows 10 installation media be it an ISO file or a USB drive.
- Run setup.exe for the Windows 10 Setup process to begin.
- Click on Yes on the User Account Control window that opens.
- In the Windows 10 Setup screen that opens, opt for the Upgrade this PC now option and click on Next.
- You will get to the see Windows getting prepared with a percentage meter showing the progress.
- Click on Download and install updates in the next page that opens. Click on Next.
- The Windows 10 Setup will progress and will also lead to your PC restarting during the process.
- Accept the notices and license terms, for obvious reasons.
- In the Ready to install page that opens, click on Install.
- Make sure Install Windows 10 Home and Keep personal files and apps are selected.
- Once the repair installation is completed, you will be prompted to log in.
- Follow on-screen instructions for setting time zones, present time and so on.
- That’s it. Your system is now ready with a fresh installation of Windows 10 which hopefully is devoid of all the errors present in the previous installation.
This should also mark the end of the error code 0xc0000409 once and for all.
- Fix: “Insert your Windows installation or recovery media” error
- Create Windows 10 Installation Media With UEFI Support [HOW TO]
- There was a problem running Windows 10 Media Creation Tool [FIX]