5 best encrypted email software to protect your data [2018 List]
The majority of today’s correspondence is these days carried out through email. But, at the same time, this can also attract a potential threat to the users’ privacy and security. Data loss and sensitive information leakage via email are some of the most pressing concerns for most users and especially businesses.
Confidentiality and confidence are some of the most important factors for an organization but also for the typical user. All these stress the importance of mail encryption, and fortunately, the market is filled with open source privacy software that can provide it. Here are five of the best-encrypted email tools along with their set of features and advantages.
Hushmail for Personal Use
Hushmail for Personal Use allows users to secure their email in order to keep their personal conversations private. Using this piece of software, you will be able to regain the control of your private data and to enjoy the experience of having a clean inbox with no advertising.
You will be able to choose the emails that you want to send using this tool’s powerful encryption features, and this will result in private and confidential conversations.
Check out the key features that are packed in this handy app:
- Hushmail Premium is the account for personal use, and it’s perfect for users who need a single email address that ends in @hushmail.com with desktop, mobile, and web access.
- The Hushmail Premium includes 10 GB of storage space and multiple layers of security.
- The software uses OpenPGP encryption that is guaranteed to protect the content of your email and provide secure connections between you’re and the servers.
- When you are using this tool, you will get to own your data, and this means that your emails will not be analyzed to display all sorts of ads.
- You will get the chance to mask your email address by using various aliases.
- The app provides dedicated customer support and any troubles that you might experience will get solved via phone or email.
- Hushmail’s encryption comes automatically, and you don’t have to bother thinking how it works.
- There’s also a two-step verification that will be able to prevent unauthorized access to your account.
- The first step involves signing in using your username and passphrase and the second step requires entering a verification code that will be sent to your phone or an alternate email address.
You can check out more features and functionalities of Hushmail on the software’s official website and try it out to see how it works.
This is a plugin for I2P that lets users send and receive emails in the safest possible way. This is an entirely decentralized and distributed email system that doesn’t need a server because the emails are stored in a distributed hash table.
Your emails will be automatically encrypted and digitally signed, and this will guarantee that no one will ever read your emails but the intended recipients. Third parties are not allowed to snoop around.
Here are the best features that are included in this plugin:
- You can create email identities with a single click, and you can send your emails anonymously or under an identity of your choice.
- The whole encryption process and the signing in are transparent, and you don’t have to know anything about PGP.
- I2P-Bote is based on ElGamal, Elliptic Curve, and NTRU Encryption.
- You will also get delivery confirmation so that you can find out when your email reached the recipient.
- The user interface is effortless to understand and use, and it’s also translated into more languages.
Besides the current features which you can check out in-depth by heading over to I2P-Bote’s official website, there are also other features that will be implemented shortly, and they include custom folders, IDs shared across multiple devices, receiving emails via relays and more traffic correlation countermeasures.
You can install I2P-Bote today and see how it works and if it’s appropriate for your security needs.
Bitmessage is a P2P communication protocol that is used in order to send encrypted messages to another user but also to lots of subscribers for instance. This protocol is decentralized and trustless. In other words, you will not have to trust any entities such as root certificate authorities.
Check out the key features that are packed in Bitmessage below:
- Bitmessage uses strong authentication, and this means that the sender of a message cannot be spoofed and the non-content data will be hidden.
- Users can freely view the Python source code on Github, and there will also be available step-by-step instructions on how to run the source code on Windows and more.
- Bitmessage’s transfer mechanism is similar to Bitcoin’s transaction and block system, and you can find out more about this on Bitmessage’s whitepaper.
- The users will receive all messages, and they will be responsible for attempting to decode each message to see whether it’s bound for them.
You can check out more features and advantages of using Bitmessage on the website’s page and decide whether it’s appropriate for your own safety needs.
RetroShare was created back in 2006, and its primary target was to provide secure communication and file sharing between friends. Developers have been joining the platform ever since, and they improved the software significantly.
RetroShare creates encrypted connections to your friends and guarantees that nobody will spy on you. This is entirely decentralized, and this means that RetroShare does not involve using central servers. The program is open-source and free, and you will never have to deal with any costs, ads or Terms of Service.
Now, take a look at the main features and functionalities that are provided by RetroShare:
- It creates encrypted connections between you and your friends and family in order to build a network of computers.
- It also provides various distributed services on top of it, and these include channels, forums, and more.
- RetroShare guarantees to offers users maximum security and anonymity.
- The program is available on Windows systems and more, and we have to stress that fact that there are no additional costs or ads involved.
- You can send text and images and discuss with people in decentralized chat rooms.
- You will be able to express your emotions with emojis and more.
- RetroShare also allows you to send encrypted messages to other members of the network and it stores the messages to deliver them while you are offline.
- You will also be able to share files with the entire network, even larger ones.
Your privacy and anonymity are totally guaranteed. You can find out even more exciting details about RetroShare by heading over to its official website. You can learn more about its goals, the way that it works and more.
- ALSO READ: 10 best VPN software clients for Windows 10
And last, but definitely not least, Sendinc is another excellent way of sending secure emails that you should learn about. It’s also fast, safe and free and it packs a great deal of fantastic safety-related features and advantages. Here are the best ones:
- The military grade encryption makes sure that only your target will ever see the messages that you are sending.
- Sendinc does not store the encryption keys, and only your recipients will get the ability to decrypt the messages.
- You will be able to send and receive encrypted emails effortlessly within Microsoft Outlook.
- The Sendinc Add-In for Microsoft Outlook makes it really easy and convenient to send and receive encrypted emails and sending a message will turn out to be just as easy as before, and all you will have to do besides the regular processes will be to check the Send Secure checkbox, and that’s all.
- Your recipients will not need any additional programs to see your messages.
- You can achieve and maintain compliance with GLBA, HIPAA, SOX and more.
- Sendinc allows you to integrate email encryption straight into your applications with its APIs.
- The platform presents three available plans: the Basic plan which is free for individuals, the PRO plan for which you have to pay $48 per year and the Corporate plan which costs $48 per year as well.
You can check out more features and advantages that are packed in Sendinc by heading over to its official website.
These are our top recommendations for encrypted email software, and we advise you to head over to their official websites and check out their complete sets of features before you make up your mind.
Keep in mind that protecting your sensitive data and your communication is vital these days, and this is enough reason to consider using such software.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
Best encrypted email software that you can use in 2018
Microsoft is all set to launch its next big update, Windows 10 version 1809 in October. While that should be a nice piece of news […]
The Windows 10 October 2018 Update (otherwise 18H2) rollout might now be two to three weeks away. For the last few months, new build previews […]
Microsoft released a new Windows 7 update to the general public. Update KB4457139 is actually a preview of the upcoming monthly rollup update and allows users […]