Windows 10 is used by millions of people worldwide, but just like with many other operating systems, sometimes there are problems with older software. Speaking of old software, sometimes older games such as Age of Empires 2 won’t work on Windows 10, but luckily, there’s a fix available.
If you can’t run Age of Empires 2 on Windows 10, you might need to update your drivers. Check if your drivers are latest, and if not, update them.
Also make sure that your game and Windows 10 are up to date, in order to prevent any unexpected issues. Some users report that Age of Empires 2 uses Safedisc for protection, and since Safedisc isn’t supported with Windows 10 you might want to find a digital version of the game. In addition, there are few more solutions.
Solution 1 – Run Age of Empires 2 in compatibility mode
Since Age of Empires 2 is a very old game, maybe running it in the compatibility mode could solve the problem. To do that, follow these steps:
- Right-click Age of Empires 2 shortcut and choose Properties.
- After Property window opens go to Compatibility tab.
- Check Run this program in compatibility mode and select the operating system from the list.
- Click Apply then OK.
If you’re running Age of Empires 2 on Steam you might try the following solution.
Solution 2 – Disable the Age of Empires 2 launcher
If running the game in the compatibility mode didn’t solve the problem, you can try with disabling the game launcher. Follow these steps to disable Age of Empires 2 launcher:
- Open Steam and find Age of Empires 2.
- Right-click it, and choose Properties, then go to Set launch options.
- Type NoStartUp and click OK.
- Now click Local files and then Browse local files to open the game folder.
- Delete or rename Launcher.
- Create a copy of AoK HD.
- Rename the copy of AoK HD to Launcher.
- Go back to the Steam properties window and click Close.
For a better gaming experience, we recommend downloading GameFire (free). It will help with various gaming issues, such as low FPS, lags and slow PC.
Just like with any new operating system, compatibility with older software is somewhat limited, but Microsoft has stated that Windows 10 will be compatible with Age of Empires 2. If you have any issues with Age of Empires 2, we hope that these solutions are helpful to you.
That would be all, if you have any questions or suggestions, reach for the comment section below. Also, if you have any other Windows 10 gaming-related issues you can check for the solution in our Windows 10 Fix section.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2015 and has been revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness. We want to be sure that our list has the best products that will fit your needs.
- Nvidia Releases GeForce WHQL Drivers for Windows 10 [Download]
- Fix: ‘Windows sockets registry entries required for network connectivity are missing’ on Windows 10
- Fix: WiFi Stopped Working after Update to Windows 10