- Web browsers and search engines are essential for getting online, they connect you to the huge databases that make up the Internet.
- Bu not all is safe out there. Browser hijackers are very dangerous as they redirect your to specially crafted malware-loaded websites.
- If you're looking for a reliable antivirus solution to keep browser hijackers at bay, this guide will help you choose the right one for your needs.
- Visit our web browsing hub to learn more useful tips & tricks.
Do you need antivirus against web browser hijackers? This post is meant for you.
A browser hijacker usually takes over your browser settings and redirects you to sites which you never thought of visiting. It is a malware program.
Browser hijackings often times come from browser extensions, toolbars browser or helper objects. They can cause your device to display content that you do not need or stop responding. E.g pop-up ads, intrusive notifications, and PUPs.
You can remove any add-ons recently installed on your device and scan for browser hijackers using an antivirus solution. In this post, we have listed some of the best and most trusted antivirus applications against browser hijackers.
What about a browser that has built-in antivirus?
Having an antivirus on your PC is a necessity, whether that’s Windows Defender or a third-party application.
However, if the focal point of your digital safety issues lies on browser hijackers, chances are you won’t need an antivirus to deal with them.
UR Browser has a built-in antivirus which ensures protection from malicious websites.
UR Browser is privacy and security oriented browser and already praised for it. Besides the already-mentioned antivirus, it alerts you when accessing suspicious websites, and always redirects the traffic to HTTPS websites.
By avoiding unsafe HTTP protocol, it ensures you won’t be threatened by browser hijackers.
Add the extra 2048-bit encryption and the built-in VPN and you may rest assured that you won’t be an easy target for malicious software online.
Try UR Browser today and see for yourself how speedy and reliable this browser is.
ESET is a PC protection company that has been in operation for about two decades now. It helps to keep threats at bay and offers great protection against malicious websites. The ESET NOD32 is an antivirus software compatible with the Windows OS and uses very little of the computers’ resources.
- The interface has very easy to understand navigation features.
- It offers comprehensive protection against spyware, viruses, worms, adware, and rootkits.
- It has a great prevention system which disables unauthorized modification to programs and certain files.
- It offers great protection for removable media such as external hard drives and USB flash drives.
- Applications that connect to malicious websites are proactively blocked.
- Incoming and outgoing emails are effectively scanned.
- A thorough scanning lasts just about fifteen minutes, after which a report of the status of your PC’s security is provided.
- Gaming mode blocks unwanted popups and intrusions during gaming activities.
- A snapshot of system changes is captured by the SysInspector to track system changes and for tech support use.
- Online safety tool educates new users on how to stay safe online.
- Software updates, virus and malware definitions are downloaded automatically.
- Difficulty is experienced when locating advanced settings on the interface.
- Availability of tech support is limited to video tutorials, email and forums. There is neither phone support nor live chat.
Bitdefender Internet Security
It is very compatible with the Windows OS. BitDefender offers full protection and scans all files, page urls for malicious websites.
This security software protects against malware on various devices and it is also very good for slow computers.
- It has a multiplatform system. All your devices can be secured at the same license.
- It comes with various security tools for all the platforms, such as antitheft tools and parental controls, and Bitdefender’s password manager can also be used on Windows computers.
- It offers protection from ransomeware.
- Bitdefender provides multi-device protection for $10 to $30 which is lesser than other products.
- Good for file encryption.
- Quick product updates.
- A very easy installation.
- It can be gotten with a 30 days free trial. Within this period, you can check its features to know if it suits your taste.
- Strong firewall.
- It offers safe pay during online transactions and various e-commerce activities.
- It takes quite some time to have knowledge of all the features.
- It is expensive. 5 computers for 2 years cost $307.50 while those 50 computers cost $1740.
- Poor customer support.
- Auto-renewal complaints.
This security software can be downloaded here
- ALSO READ: 7 best antivirus with firewall
Avast Pro Antivirus
It has a password manager and DNS protection that prevents the hijacking of DNS, and also, it helps in the protection against website redirects.
- It is has a multi-function security software which has an easy to use interface.
- It has unique features which makes it different from other PC suites.
- It has the Wi-Fi-Scanner which continuously investigates and removes potential threats from your router and network.
- It detects when your application needs an update and updates automatically for you.
- A modern UI
- Very light on the system.
- Good detection of malware capabilities.
- A customizable installer.
- It does not have parental control.
- Too many ads.
- After one of use, you are required to have an account.
- Anti-ransom ware module is needed.
- Lacks great signatures for real world protection.
- Web plug-in contain ads.
Kaspersky Internet Security
This security software has a strong firewall which can give your system maximum protection against unknown connections. It has an anti-malware security suitable to detect viruses before they infect your PC. It has a browser protection which helps to protect your device from reaching malicious websites.
- It got the best scores from about five labs.
- It has an awesome anti phishing score.
- It has an advanced disinfection scan.
- It has a firewall with powerful application control.
- Protection for Windows OS and Android devices.
- Automated security patching.
- Webcam protection and so many other bonus features.
- Malicious software can easily be detected.
- RAM usage is low.
- Mediocre scores in hands-on malware protection tests.
- It has high RAM uses.
- It slows down the operating system.
- Database update is slow.
Download link: www.kapersky.com
McAfee Antivirus Plus
However, it has its own firewall that helps in deciding which content makes entrance into your PC.
- Safe browsing of the web.
- Great customer service.
- It has a multi-factor password manager app. You can create unique passwords for your accounts online.
- Secure cloud storage is guaranteed. The software ensures secured banking, shopping and socializing.
- It has an easy to use web based console.
- Guaranteed home network protection.
- It can adequately detect quarantines, and block malware and viruses in order to prevent damage to your PC.
- It also keeps away zero-day threats and protects you against any potential threat.
- Regular updates an affordable price.
- Very easy to use interface with guaranteed easy access to all its features.
- Compared to other security software, McAfree is cheap.
- Unlike other antivirus programs, it detects very few malware threats.
- Web advisor’s site report did not work consistently during testing.
It is compatible with the Windows OS. It can protect your devices from ransomware, Trojans and viruses and keeps all your banking connection secured.
- Instant notification once virus is detected.
- It has an antivirus which protects your privacy and security; all your devices are safe from virus and spyware.
- It has family rules. With just one subscription, you can protect your family and set great boundaries for your children’s device use.
- It has a device finder. You can easily locate, lock or erase your device.
- It can protect multiple Windows devices at the same time.
- It effectively manages users and devices.
- It does not scan USB-connected devices or drives.
- In the F-Secure portal there is no remote configuration control.
- The components of Windows suite have an uneven quality.
Norton Security Premium
This security software is one of the best internet security software. It ranks very high for protection and usability independent tests. It protects your device from malicious websites. In addition, it is compatible with Windows OS.
- Read Also: 10 best antivirus programs for browsing
- Operating system: Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7.
- It has some of the best internet protection tools coupled with 24/7 tech support.
- One license covers about five devices.
- Great firewall.
- So many bonus features.
- This software has wonderful protection tools and can detect malware easily no matter what type of device you use.
- It has an organized interface.
- Norton does not tax computer resources too much, so it is difficult to experience any lag while it runs.
- It has advanced protection tools which includes parental controls, password manager and lots of online backup storage.
- It does not affect the speed of a PC.
- Great performance hands-on test.
- Wisdom of crowds used by its integrated firewall.
- Detection scores and protection is very high.
- It does not have social network security tools.
- Long update cycles and installations.
Norton Security Premium can be downloaded here.
In conclusion, you can protect your web browser against browser hijackers by using any of the Antivirus software we mentioned above. Feel free to comment below if you have any questions. Protect your devices today.
FAQ: Learn more about browser hijackers
Are browser hijackers dangerous? Browser hijackers are dangerous as many of them change your Windows Registry settings without you even noticing that. Other unwanted behaviors include changing your browser settings and injecting malware into your browser. How do I get rid of browser hijackers? To remove browser hijackers, uninstall all the browser extensions, check for browser updates and run an in-depth antivirus scan on your computer. How do I stop a redirect on my browser? To prevent browser redirects which are often caused by browser hijackers, go to your browser’s security settings and locate the pop-ups and redirects option. Turn this option off to block browser redirects.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2019 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
- Read Also: 10 best antivirus programs for browsing