- If you're an audiophile, balancing the frequency components of your audio setup is crucial if you want your experience to be as clean as possible
- Even high-end audio systems can benefit from a bit of tweaking, considering that many with pre-existent bass boosts or tone adjustments
- If you're not exactly tech-savvy when it comes to balancing your audio perfectly, dedicated audio calibration software can lend a helping hand
Audio equalization refers to adjusting the balance between frequency components. In the past, lots of heavy instruments were used for equalization, and these were known as equalizers.
Now, the same work is done much more comfortable with the help of equalizer apps. There are lots of equalizer apps out there on the market, and they can perform the equalizing tasks in just a few seconds.
Equalizer apps can be used to access audio features such as Equalizer, Environment, Surround, Base Management and so on.
These days, you can enhance the process of adjusting the balance between audio frequency components with the help of these equalizer apps.
Here are the best 10+ equalizer apps that are currently available for Windows 10.
Adobe Audition is currently on the most reliable Digital Audio Workstations that allows you to edit professionally any audio format. You can record, edit, mix, and even recover audio files.
Audition comes with two types of equalizers: the parametric equalizer and the graphic equalizer. The difference between the two being that parametric one has better frequency accuracy whereas the graphic equalizer has a higher phase accuracy.
The graphic equalizer is more newbie friendly and comes with a couple of presets between 10 bands, 20 bands, and 30 bands. Fewer bands allowing for easier adjustment and more allowing for greater precision.
To achieve the desired frequency you will need to play around with the “gain slider” and adjust decibels accordingly.
With parametric equalizer you have complete control over your frequencies, you can simultaneously reduce or boost them based on your needs.
Some other features worth mentioning:
- Essential Sound Panel for professional editing
- Complex sound effect design tools
- Interactive tutorials
- Improved multitrack UI
- Adaptive noise reduction
Boom 3D (suggested)
Boom 3D is an amazing sound tool that not only gives you the option to play with the sound in its equalizer but also to boost your sound.
The equalizer comes with lots of presets and can be used also if you have headphones.
This feature is especially useful in case you have in-year or overhead headphones and you need a specific type of sound.
Let’s see what else does Boom 3D has to combine with the equalizer features:
- Audio effects for a realistic sound experience
- Surround sound from every player, media or streaming
- Recalibration of the acoustic sense
- Changing existent presets value for a more custom sound
The software was available only for MAC and iOS users, and this version might be just the newest equalizer for Windows 10.
We have already tested it and it really rocks out every type of room. Global Delight Apps created another piece of art that you should try on your sound system.
The app has a 30-day trial and for the full version you’ll have to pay EUR 11.Editor's choice
Default Windows Equalizer
Windows comes with a built-in sound equalizer that provides ten bands audio equalizing. To use the equalizer in Windows, you have to follow these steps:
- Right-click on the speaker icon on the taskbar which you will locate at the right-bottom corner of your screen.
- Select the Playback Device option, and you will see a Sound dialogue box appear.
- In the Playback tab, you have to right-click on the Default Speaker, and then you have to click on Properties.
- Another dialog box called Speaker Properties will show up.
- You have to go to the Enhancement tab and select the equalizer checkbox that is present in the scroll list.
- After you choose the Equalizer option, you will see the Sound Effect Properties appearing below the scroll list.
Here are the features that this equalizing tool boasts the most:
- You can select more presets including pop, rock, bass, club, treble and more.
- You have to ability to customize the equalizer manually.
- This ten band equalizer ranges from 31dB to 16k dB.
- The sound effects that you decide to apply will be applied to all system sounds.
- If you want to make a few equalizer changes, you have to go through the whole process described above again.
FXSound equalizer brings you booming bass, crystal clear audio, and high fidelity by optimizing all of your music in real time.
Here are some of the features that this audio enhancer offers:
- It provides you a studio-quality listening experience without having to purchase expensive speakers or headphones.
- The program run in the background and all you have to do is to listen to your music and enjoy an enhanced listening experience.
- It provides you the opportunity to increase the bass on your music way beyond your system’s maximum capability.
- FXSound delivers a seamless 3D surround sound experience.
- The software reprocesses sound frequencies to replicate a studio quality listening environment.
- FXSound improves the sound quality of your music instantly, and as long as there’s audio playing on your system, the program will automatically optimize it without playback delay.
- The software provides a high definition listening experience no matter how low the quality of a song is previously.
- The program can erase audio compression, and you get the opportunity to access a hi-res experience that is usually reserved only for uncompressed music.
- FXSound comes with customizing tools to personalize the software according to your preferences.
FXSound has a free trial, but if you want all the features of the app, you’ll have to pay $39.99.
If you’re looking for sound equalizer to download, then this software might be perfect for you. Equalizer APO is a system-wide parametric equalizer that uses an advanced technique of adjusting the audio output on the system. Here are its most notable features:
- The tool allows you to enhance the quality and power of your sound.
- During the installation process, the software will enable you to select the audio device that you need to install the APO to and this way you will know which one you must enhance.
- The software presents you a complete list of connectors and names of devices, making you aware of which one supports APO.
- In order to configure the parameters of the new equalizer, you will have to go to the place where Equalizer APO is installed and access a configuration TXT file.
- It supports unlimited filters and to add a filter to the equalizer, you have to write in the configuration file.
- The program provides results without leaving traces in your system resources.
The application doesn’t have a modern user interface, but it will certainly get the job done.
This is an open source sound equalizer for PC that provides your system with different audio effects. The sound equalizer comes with more features, and the most used feature is the Equalizer.
Here are some of the features that this software offers:
- The Surround option allows you to set sound effects in accordance with different surroundings and these include small room, smallest room, mid-size room, large room and largest room.
- ViPER XBass allows you to add more bass to the sound and you can also set the speaker size and bass levels according to your own comfort zone.
- The ViPER XClarity can control noise distortion, and it provides users with three choices and an adjustment bar to set the distortion in Decibels.
- The Reverberation feature offers various effects such as wet mix, early mix, pre-delay, decay, damping, density, room size and more.
- If you prefer your system’s sound pitched higher, you can use the compressor, but don’t forget that using high compression will result in sound distortion.
The equalizer allows users to customized the sound effects via 18 bands, and you will also find various presets including Rock Music, Super Bass, Jazz Music, and more.
Realtek HD Audio Manager
This is an open source graphic equalizer and free audio enhancer for Windows.
This computer equalizer comes with various features to provide users the opportunity to change sound settings in speakers, microphone, stereo mix and line-in.
The equalizer comes with a ten band equalizer set, and this is very effortless to customize. Regarding the sound effects, they are sorted in two categories, Equalizer and Environment.
Here are Realtek‘s features:
- It has band ranging from 31dB to 16l dB where you can customize sound effects and save them.
- Many available presets, including live, pop, rock, club, karaoke and more.
- Ability to choose from many environmental presets, includingliving room, underwater, sewer pipe, forest and more.
- After you select one of these, you will hear the sound as it feels like to listen to it in a compact space.
The software has some additional features such as Room Correction (this helps you to set the sound effects according to the room that you are in), Speaker Configuration (you can configure your speaker setting in three modes: Stereo, Quadphonic, and 5.1 speaker), and Default format that lest you set the configuration to the default mode.
DFX Audio Enhancer
This is another simple audio equalizer for Windows. The tool will improve the computer’s sound quality by adding various new features to it.
It has a free trial, but the full version starts from $19.99 and goes up to $39.99, depending on the plan and features.
Here are the essential features of the software:
- 3D surround sound effect provides real sound effects for more surroundings.
- The fidelity is used to create sound effects just like you would be listening to music on your home stereo player.
- You can set the sound effects to match various ambiances.
- The Dynamic Boost increases the perceived loudness of the audio, maintaining the distortion level of the sound.
- The Hyperbass adds rich bass to your system, and it can adjust the sounds according to the amplification and frequency.
- It features more sound effects such as Light Processing, Megabass, Streamcast, Hard rock-grunge, Techo-big sound and more.
The DFX Audio Enhancer provides popular sound effects such as 3D Surround, Ambience, Fidelity, Hyperbass and Dynamic boost.
If you’re looking for a sound equalizer to download, then this software might be just what you need. The RealTime Equalizer is designed to be a handy tool for processing music files such as WAVs and MP3s. The app is created to perform modifications on audio signals in real time to provide you a better sound experience.
Take a look at the app’s essential features below:
- The program adjusts the frequency spectrum emitted during playback.
- The RealTime Equalizer comes in two editions; one is a standalone installation, and the other is a Winamp plugin.
- During the installation of the software, you will be offered the opportunity to choose between these two editions.
- Attractive and simple to use interface
- You will benefit from up to 300 channels that will allow you to equalize audio streams just like a pro.
- The amplification level ranges from –INF to +90 dB divided into two intervals.
- You can use this dynamic equalizer to produce superior sounds from the quality point of view.
- You can also easily enhance stereo music by using the spatial resurrection feature that will add special effects for the most enjoyable media experience.
- Using the presets, you will be able to create and store more sound scenarios, and then you will also be able to use these in other projects or even share them with your friends.
The app also bundles an array of features that will make you spend productive and fun time with it.
Best audio equalizer software for Windows 10 (paid version)
And now let’s see what are the best premium paid audio equalizer software versions available on the market.
These tools bring additional features and options compared to the free software listed above.
It is a great and user-friendly tool which will help you change the sound from your PC. It also can be used as an audio enhancer.
Let’s see together some of its handy features:
- Bass Boost effect allows you to amplify your low tones without having a ‘dirty’ sound
- Ten band equalizer – you have more control over your sound than the 18-20 band equalizers which are more used in the professional sound production
- Over 20 presets for the most used listening modes so you can use it for music or movies
- Create&save your own preset in order to apply it whenever you need to
- Preamp volume control feature: you can use a single band in order to boost overall sound (without adjusting each band separately)
- An easy-to-use interface so you can turn it on/off in a click
It uses fewer bands that a lot of other equalizers but is specialized much better than anyone on the bass/mid/treble segments
Graphic Equalizer Studio 2017
The Graphic Equalizer Studio will correct the audio stream automatically, and it will also include the Limiter and the compressor to make sure that the audio signal is not too low or too loud.
Here are couple of the notable features of this tool:
- If you load a wav file or an mp3 file, you will be able to hear the difference and the effect provided by this equalizer.
- All of your playlists will sound improved, and you can also use any sound app that you desire.
- You now have the opportunity to watch movies with nicer bass sounds and the limiter will make sure to lower the passages that are too loud.
- The compressor will make the lower signals a bit louder.
- If you enable the Auto Correct feature, it will scan all the selected frequencies from the wav to determine the minimum and the maximum amplitudes.
- The program can correct any variations by automatically enhancing or decreasing the levels of attenuation at specific frequency intervals.
- More linear frequency response provided by the application also means more consistent audio for the listener.
Graphic Ezualizer Studio has a trial version that you can check out, but is you want the full experience, you’ll have to pay $49 to keep using it.
Bass Treble Booster
This is a Bass/Treble Frequency editor with file conversion capabilities. It is able to modify the output of the songs and files in your music collection and as a result it can bring a whole new dimension to your listening experience.
Here are the most notable features of Bass Treble Booster:
- Supports a vast range of sound frequencies.
- The bass treble booster has 15 frequency settings
- Frequency range from 30 to 19K Hz.
- For users who are less skilled with studio engineering, the software also comes with a number of equalizer presets to enhance the music listening experience.
- The program supports input and modification from more file types including MP3 FLAC WAV OGG WMA APE AAC WV AIFF and M4A.
- The program also provides you with the ability to return any changes to the default settings.
Even though it doesn’t have a very complex UI, you still might want to try it out.
Note: This application has been discontinued and it’s available for download only from third-party sources.
Breakaway Audio Enhancer
Breakaway Audio Enhancer is a user-friendly software that is designed to help you improve your music listening sessions by offering you a bunch of advanced settings just like the ones that are used by pros in their studios.
Take a look at some of these impressive features below:
- You can control the sounds that are emitted by the browsers and other apps, and enhance your music at the same time.
- The tool automatically adjusts the volume, and it equalizes the sound from multiple audio sources allowing uniformity in all audio.
- This tool will not change the files; it will only even out the way that they sound in real time.
- The software is quite easy to configure as it comes with a Setup Wizard that will make sure to guide you step by step through the whole process.
- You will be able to test the sound that it produces and only then decide what aspects need to be improved.
- You can use the Reference Classical preset to preserve the spectral balance of classical music.
- The Easy Listening configuration works best for when you are playing music in the background.
- When you want to watch a movie, you won’t have to deal with adjusting the volume anymore, because this tool can also keep the dialogue intelligible while toning down special effects to protect your ears.
The app comes with a 30-day trial. To keep using it after that, you’ll have to get $29.95 out of your pockets.
Note: This application has been discontinued and it’s available for download only from third-party websites.
Other sound related tools
You may also want to check out Zulu, an ideal DJ software for beginners. This tool supports a bevy of real-time effects, automatic beat detection, and more.
Use it with one of these audio equalizers and the crowd will love you.
If you are interested in recording your own audio tracks, we have the best tool for you: WavePad Audio.
This is a professional audio recording and editing software that can handle even the most obscure audio formats.
This is the point where our roundup of Windows sound equalizers comes to an end.
Check out all ten tools and their unique features and decide which one is the best choice for your preferences and needs. Have fun!
Does Windows 10 have an audio equalizer?
Yes, like many other previous versions, Windows 10 also has a built-in audio equalizer. However, many consider it to be limited from a feature standpoint and switch to more capable, third-party software solutions. Here’s how you can add an audio equalizer to your Windows 10 PC.
How does an audio equalizer work?
Imagine that the sound consists of several smaller components, called audio signals. What an equalizer does is let you adjust the frequency ranges of said signals by “boosting” or “cutting” them until you’re satisfied with the quality of the sound.
What frequency (Hz) is best for bass?
The “bass” band has a frequency range of 60 to 250 Hz, and there’s really no “best” value here to talk about. As a starting point, you should know that most tracks nowadays have a bass frequency of around 100-200 Hz. If you boost the bass too much, your song will start sounding “boomy,” too little of it and it will be too “sharp.”
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in September 2019 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.