If the major tech breakthrough for last year was virtual reality, then the new tech trend for 2017 is 360 degrees videos. These type of videos let you see the world from all angles—not just where the camera is pointing.
You don’t see the world around you in square or rectangle, so why limit yourself to that view in photos and videos. To capture 360 degrees video, you need a good 360 degrees camera.
Thankfully, the first wave of 360 degrees underwater cameras have arrived, and they record everything going on around at the same time.
And since major content platforms such as YouTube and Facebook already have support for 360 degrees videos, it’s a good time to start looking for a camera that can capture the footage. We have compiled a list of the best 360 degrees underwater cameras that are worth buying.
What are the best 360 degrees underwater cameras?
- Super 5.7K resolution
- FlowState stabilization with gimbal-like effect
- Invisible Selfie Stick effect that quickly erases the selfie stick in the edit
- IPX8 waterproof
- Pretty expensive
With a 5.7k resolution and water protection for up to 5 m, Insta360 ONE R 360 Edition can be an ideal camera for underwater video and photo capturing.
Because it’s an action cam, this model features a FlowState technology stabilization that achieves gimbal-like stabilization without the gimbal. And because it comes with a new scene-detection algorithm, your footage will be clear and steady even in low light.
We also need to mention that ONE R supports HDR capture for photo and video.
- 5.2k videos and 18MP photos
- Video ISO Range: 400 to 6400 (Manual)
- Immersive 360 experiences playback spherical footage
- Ultra-smooth stabilization
- File compression is not so good
GoPro Fusion captures spherical videos and photos which you can play them back in VR or use over capture to create traditional videos and photos you can share right on your phone.
With Ultra smooth stabilization and 5.2K video, this small cam is like having a complete film crew with you on your adventures.
The camera is compatible with a lot of new Android smartphones like Asus Zenfone AR, Google Pixel 2, LG V30, Motorola Moto Z2 Force, Samsung Galaxy Note 8, and many more.
Fusion features voice control in 10 languages.
- Max HyperSmooth stabilization
- Live stream in 1080p on social media
- Game-changing horizon leveling
- 270-degree distortion-free panoramic photos without horizon scanning
- No 4K recording
With GoPro MAX you will have three cameras in one. You will be able to shoot traditional hero style video and photos or capture immersive 360 footage. At the same time, you can use it to vlog with a very good mic performance and a front-facing screen to use for reference.
MAX features four digital lenses in HERO mode to choose from so you will be able to capture video and photos in Narrow, Linear, Wide and Max SuperView.
- Advanced MOS sensor with 16 million image pixels
- Multiple viewing modes: Ring, Dome, Front Degree/Rear 180 Degree, 360 Degree Panorama, and Globe
- Splashproof and 2 m shockproof
- Very low price
- The camera only shoots in a fish-eye format
This Kodak camera is not waterproof, it’s only splashproof but this particular Amazon offer includes the Aqua Sport Accessory Pack so you will find a waterproof housing, a head strap, surfboard adhesive mount, and more so you can enjoy the full water adventure capturing experience.
The 16 megapixel MOS sensor offers better quality and clarity than CMOS or CCD Wi-Fi and NFC connectivity will help you monitor all the action wirelessly from a smartphone.
- 1080p live streaming stabilization
- Mega accessory kit included
- Spherical 5.6K 30 HD video
- Playback, edit, and share all from your phone
- Waterproof down to 16 ft
The GoPro MAX 360 Action Camera can become your favorite buddy when you’re diving because it’s waterproof for 16 feet underwater. Using opposite side lenses, the MAX can capture everything that happens around you in a 360° view in up to 4992 x 2496 resolution video and 5760 x 2880 still photos.
You don’t need to bother much with editors because the photos and video are stitched automatically in the camera for easy sharing. of course, it can also use only one lens to capture traditional GoPro hero-style wide-angle action footage when needed.
- Interactive 360 Degree 4K video from a single digital unit
- 16-megapixel image sensor - 4K video resolution 2880 x 2880 pixels up to 30 fps
- Motion and audio activation
- Gyroscope and non-assisted GPS
- Problems with customer support
Dubbed as the world’s smartest 360 degrees 4K camera, the 360fly comes with an array of attractive features that qualifies it on the list of the best 360 degrees underwater cameras.
First, it’s waterproof to a depth of 30 m, which makes it perfect for 3600 underwater videos. It’s also shockproof, dustproof, and comes with a generous internal storage capacity of 64GB.
Sharing videos to YouTube and Facebook is super easy, thanks to the 360fly mobile app. You can easily capture, edit, and share your 360 degrees video using the mobile app.
There you have it, the list of the best 360 degrees underwater cameras. The best in terms of performance is the 360Abyss-V4, which also happens to be the most expensive. This camera is best suited for oceanographers and other professionals who record deep sea documentaries.
However, we also have some affordable, high-performance, and versatile 360 degrees cameras such as 360fly 4K that you can buy. Feel free to comment and share.
FAQ: Read more about underwater cameras
- What is the best camera for underwater photography?
- Which 360 camera should you buy in 2020?
We prepared an excellent list with the best 360 cameras to buy.
- Which 360 camera is the best?
It’s hard to decide but we have a very comprehensive list with the best 360 cameras to narrow your search.Editor's Note: This article was originally published in January 2017 and was revamped and updated in November 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.