Printed text, such as books and old manuscripts, are slowly but surely becoming a thing of the past.
That is why whenever we want to put them in digital form, we use OCR technology to spare us the hassle of writing by hand.
Handheld OCR scanners exist, and they can be used to teach you how to read a word, find the definition of a word, or they can even be used to learn a new language entirely.
We’ve decided to compile a list of what we think are the best handheld OCR scanners. We took into consideration the OCR efficiency, price, and how user-friendly they are.
Note: Deals are subject to change. Keep in mind that the price tag often varies. We recommend going on the vendor’s website to check the price. Some of the products may be out of stock by the time you’ve made your purchasing decision. So, hurry up and hit the buy button.
It supports plenty of books and your children will learn how to adore reading, which will make storytelling time their favorite time of the day.
- The complete learn-to-read-and-write solution
- Includes LeapReader reading and writing system
- Touch pages or words to hear them read aloud
- Foster listening and comprehension skills with downloadable audiobooks
- activities help strengthen comprehension and school readiness skills.
- Explore 150+ interactive books and writing activities
- Issues with some tag books
You can also use the device as a text reader, and a scanner that will send the text into text-editing tools, such as Microsoft Word.
- Lets you create summaries faster than ever before
- Super accurate and fast multilingual OCR text scanner
- Can be used to scan text into Microsoft Word or our intuitive mobile apps
- Edit, read aloud in real-time and translate on computers, smartphones, and tablets
- Portable, lightweight and convenient
- Powerful in-built battery rechargeable via USB
- Has troubles recognizing blurry fonts
Not only is it capable of reading text out loud, it can display the definition of the word thanks to the built-in dictionary, and it can also instantly upload it onto a PC or Mac.
- Totally portable, pocket-sized device
- Reads the text out aloud with an English human-like digital voice
- Can instantly display the definition of the word
- Good at capturing lines of text and uploading to a PC or Mac into nearly any application.
- Collins 10th Edition Dictionary onboard
- Issues with the text reading feature
- The price tag
Scanmarker Digital Highlighter
Other than that, it offers the same features you’d expect in such devices, such as OCR, text upload to PC and Mac, and more.
- Create outlines and reports faster than ever before
- Super accurate and fast multilingual OCR text scanner ideal for students and professionals
- Can scan editable text directly into any computer application e.g. Microsoft Word
- Edit, read aloud in real-time and translate on Mac & Windows computers
- Portable, lightweight and easy to use
- The text scanning is efficient, but it isn’t instant
IRISPen Air 7
It is truly wireless thanks to its Bluetooth connection, and the compatibility with PC, MAC, IOS, and Android Devices makes it extremely versatile.
- Bluetooth connectivity making it wireless
- Compatible with PC, MAC, IOS & Android Devices
- Battery Rechargeable via USB
- Text and number recognition
- 130+ languages recognized
- Software isn’t very beginner-friendly
Closing thoughts on handheld OCR scanners
Learning to read and write is very difficult, especially in other languages. That is why technology provides us with a variety of devices meant to make the learning process a whole lot easier.
That’s precisely the reason why OCR scanners exist, and if you use them right, they will take your reading and writing skills and bring them to a whole new level.