We all have the right to protect our personal information. Even in this digital age, paper shredders are more important than ever. They could turn into your first line of defense in doing your best to keep printed information confidential and some great paper shredders for home are extremely cheap.
Paper shredders will come in every shape, size, or price point this year, but finding the perfect one always depends on your budget. We aren’t here to encourage you on spending your maximum budget in a blink of an eye, but quite the opposite.
The best paper shredders for home to shred any evidence of a paper trail could even cost under $100. You just need to know where to look.
Note: Deals are subject to change. Keep in mind that the price tag often varies. We recommend going on the vendor’s website to check the price. Some of the products may be out of stock by the time you’ve made your purchasing decision. So, hurry up and hit the buy button.
Top paper shredders for home use under $100
AmazonBasics 6-Sheet Cross-Cut
If all you need is a standard paper shredder, AmazonBasics is what you’re looking for. It seems like a toy when compared to industrial shredders, but it’s perfectly suited for home or light office daily use.
This cross-cut shredder can tackle six pages at a time and is also perfectly capable of cutting credit cards, albeit only one at a time.
- Shreds paper down to a dimension of 7/32 by 1-27/32 inches
- Shred papers measuring up to 8.7 inches
- Can be removed effortlessly when it’s time to empty the bin
- One-year warranty provided by Amazon
- Low price point
- Doesn’t cut too quickly
- Can’t run for very long: 2 minute continuous run time with 30 minute cool down time
Bonsaii DocShred C156-D
Bonsaii DocShred C156-D isn’t here to impress. If you take the shredder for what it is, however, it is perfectly capable to do a great job. It can shred 12 sheets of paper (A4 size 75g/m ²) at a time into 1/5 by 1 25/32 inches (5x45mm).
You’ll also appreciate its advanced cooling system ready to protect the controls from overheating and realized continuous shredding.
- Takes paper, but also CD/DVDs, credit cards and staples
- Shredded paper drops into the generous 5.5-gallon wastebasket
- Basket window to see when it is full
- Overheating light issues
- Not very reliable as a CD/DVD shredder
AmazonBasics 6-Sheet High-Security
The AmazonBasics range of shredders to help keep your identity secure also includes the 6-Sheet High-Security Home shredder. It’s an excellent choice for your family home, coming in a fairly compact size and with some interesting key-features.
- Micro-cut, shreds paper into smaller pieces than other affordable units – 5/32 by 15/32 inches
- Destroys credit cards too
- Compact design which means you can easily keep it into a corner of the room
- Auto shut-off provides thermal protection
- Reasonably priced for any household
- 1-year Limited Warranty
- Only 3-minute continuous run time with 30-minute cool down time
- Overheating issues
Users are generally happy with the quality of the cutting and the overload jam auto-stop prevents serious paper jams.
- Only runs for up to 5 minutes
- Also shreds CDs and credit cards
- Security level P-4, which means small cross-cut paper shreds
- LED indicator lights for Power, Overheat, Overload, and Misaligned status
- ShredSafe advanced safety feature
- Not so modern design
- Inconvenient slot to put the paper in
AmazonBasics 12-Sheet Micro-Cut
This 12-Sheet AmazonBasics shredder is capable of shredding papers, credit cards, CDs, DVDs and more. It can shred up to 12 sheets at a single pass, which is decent given the price range we’re talking about.
It also comes with a 6.7-gallon pullout wastebasket, offering extra storage space with easy disposal, yet this doesn’t change its extended cool-down period.
- Can shred paper into tiny pieces (5/32 by 15/32 inches) at a rate of 6 feet per minute
- AmazonBasics 1-year warranty
- Can only run for 8 minutes at a time; then, it requires a 45-minute cool-down time
Final thoughts on best paper shredders for home use
What do you think of these affordable paper shredders? All of your money might go into paying rent or school tuition fees, but there’s always some cash left over for the occasional splurge.
Some of you might be on their second shredder or third one. You’ve got your background knowledge and this handy list, so what are you waiting for?