You don’t always know when the gaming fever hits you so you need a cool gaming solution wherever you are.
While multi-monitor displays may be common nowadays, not everyone can stand them. That is when a portable monitor comes in handy, as they extend your viewing field, but not by too much.
That is why we’ve decided to make your life easier by compiling a list of what we consider to be the best 5 portable monitors for gaming.
Note: Deals are subject to change. Keep in mind that the price tag often varies. We recommend going on the vendor’s website to check the price. Some of the products may be out of stock by the time you’ve made your purchasing decision. So, hurry up and hit the buy button.
What are the best portable monitors for gaming?
The best portable monitor for Xbox One
1. AOC e1659Fwu
- A max resolution 1366 x 768
- Multiple USB monitors can be simultaneously connected
- USB-powered with USB 3.0 technology
- Foldable flexi-stand for portrait or landscape view
- The screen can be quite sensitive
- Brightness and colors can be uneven
The AOC e1659Fwu features a sleek design and very fast USB 3.0 connection which can achieve high transfer rates and fast response times between the Xbox One and the display.
It is designed to have a jet-black glossy finish, which goes well with the 15.6-inch diagonally viewable image. Speaking of which, the e1659Fwu offers a 500:1 contrast ratio, 5 ms response time, and a 1366 x 768 resolution at 60 Hz, making it an extremely fast option for gaming.
2. ASUS MB168B
- 15.6-inch HD portable USB-powered monitor
- Single USB 3.0 cable for power and data transmission
- World’s slimmest and lightest USB monitor
- Auto-rotating display bundled with the ASUS Smart Case
- Has a blue light filter
- Cable connections can be faulty
- The USB cable is sensitive to sudden disconnections
What makes the MB168B portable USB-powered monitor great is that it needs just one USB cable for both its video signal and power, delivering a signal to a 15.6-inch, 1366 x 768 Full HD resolution screen.
The USB 3.0 cable allows rapid trnsfer of data to the screen, bringing fast, fluid images from your connected device that makes having an on-the-go multi-display setup a reality.
- Full HD 1080P Display
- IPS screen delivers incredibly vivid images
- Multiple Devices Connection available
- Smart Cover and Screen Protector
- Slim, lightweight, and portable
- May have issues with HDMI connections
The Lepow Portable Monitor is an epitome of what it means to mix portability with incredible imagery, thanks to the sleek and lightweight design that doesn’t fail to deliver stunning images.
This is thanks to the 1080p display IPS display, which allow you to view images and movie at a quality that is hard to imagine for such a small device.
Top portable gaming monitor for PS4
- Uses a single USB cable for both display and power
- Capable of HD visual imagery
- Duplicate mode synchronously displays work content.
- Can integrate HDMI & Mini DP to transfer data signals from PS4, PC, Mac, Smartphone, and more
- Has issues when using adaptor cords
The UPERFECT Portable Monitor is the perfect choice for those that prefer a more rugged monitor, thanks to the aluminum alloy body that makes it both resistant and lightweight.
What also makes it incredibly great is how configurable it is with other devices, not just PCs, since it can also be used to extend the screen of an Android or iOS phone.
2. Asus MB16AC
- 15.6-inch FHD IPS
- Ultra-portable design
- Smart cover and smart pen hole
- ASUS Eye Care technology
- Features the intuitive ASUS DisplayWidget
- A bit too sensitive for a traveler’s monitor
- The display screen is very glossy
The Asus MB16AC advertises itself as the ideal travel companion for laptops. This is especially thanks to its 15.6-inch Full HD IPS Zen Screen, which brings fantastic imagery along with portability.
It also comes with a smart cover and a smart pen hole, making it great as a substitute tablet, not just a PC monitor.
- 15.6-inch Full HD universal gaming monitor
- Very slim and portable
- Adjusted design for compatibility in all HDMI systems
- Premium leatherette cover
- Weak sound
If you’re looking for an elegant 15.6-inch portable monitor, you have to take HORI’s alternative. This monitor can connect to any gaming console or PC through the HDMI port. Actually it has 2 HDMI ports so it can connect to as many devices simultaneously.
It’s a 720p resolution screen but it’s perfect for gaming with a high refresh rate. All this is packed in a leatherette protective case and a body that weighs under three pounds so it’s highly portable.
Portability always comes at a price, and in the case of portable monitors, this includes screen resolution, performance, image quality, and connectivity issues.
However, if you are the type that is always on the road and you find that your laptop’s screen just doesn’t cut it anymore, then getting a portable monitor is the right thing to do.
FAQ: Read more about portable monitors
- What is the best portable gaming monitor?
We prepared a list with the best portable gaming monitors just for you.
- What can you do with a portable monitor?
As their name suggests, you can use them as a portable alternative to a regular monitor. You can also opt for a thin and ligh monitor from this excellent list.
- What is the largest portable monitor?
Usually, portable monitor are not bigger than 15.6 inches, otherwise it looses the whole point of portability. If you want a portable screen, you can also go with the best 17 inch laptops from our dedicated list.
Editor's Note: This article was originally published in November 2019 and was revamped and updated in November 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.