Røde microphones are well-known for how good they are in location sound recording along with live sound reinforcement. While they do make equipment meant for other uses, such as studio recordings, their mics are known all over the world for just how good they are in the outdoors.
If you are looking to enrich your inventory with a pair of mics that will make outdoor recordings a breeze, then look no further. But if you’re wondering what precise models to buy, then just take a while and look down our list of top picks we’ve made for you.
Note: Deals are subject to change. Keep in mind that the price tag often varies. We recommend going on the vendor’s website to check the price. Some of the products may be out of stock by the time you’ve made your purchasing decision. So, hurry up and hit the buy button.
The VideoMicro is a compact microphone designed to improve the audio quality of your videos, especially in outdoor activities.
This is thanks to the directional microphone, which reduces distracting peripheral sounds and focusses on the audio in front of the camera.
It also incorporates a high-quality cardioid condenser microphone capsule for great quality audio recordings when used with a wide range of cameras.
- Compact microphone
- No battery required
- Includes Rycote Lyre shock mount and a deluxe furry windshield
- The furry windshield isn’t all that effective
Røde VideoMic GO
It has a tight pickup area that focuses directly in front of the microphone and reduces other surrounding sounds, ensuring that your subject is isolated from distracting background noise.
- Delivers clear, crisp, directional audio
- Tight pickup area that focuses directly in front of the mic
- Reduces other surrounding sounds
- The mic may pick up interference from wifi sources, electronics
The Røde NT1-A is the only entry on our list that is a full kit of products Røde. This package includes a studio-grade pop shield and shock mount is included, along with a 20′ microphone cable, dust cover, and an instructional video.
This doesn’t make the mic itself of low-quality tough, as it manages to deliver a warm, extended dynamic range, and high SPL capability typical of more expensive offerings.
- Great price-to-feature ratio
- Includes plenty of useful accessories in the package
- It is perfect for recording guitars and percussion
- Not all specified accessories may be included in the packaging.
The VideoMic pro is also battery powered and provides over 70 hours recording from a single 9V battery, making it great for extended outdoor shooting sessions.
- Designed for camcorders, DSLR cameras, and portable audio recorders
- The 1/2″ condenser capsule provides broadcast-quality audio
- The Rycote Lyre based shock mounting system provides isolation from external factors
- Quite expensive for the features it offers
This is the perfect microphone upgrade for serious videographers that lack the budget of a movie studio.
- Kit includes Røde Videomic shotgun microphone with Rycote Lyre mount, and a custom Windbuster for shotgun microphones
- Some users reported it making a hissing sound at times
Closing thoughts on Røde microphones
Time and time again Røde microphones have proven themselves to be the top sellers when it comes to audio recording equipment for outdoors.
All of their products feature a rugged design, environmental noise-canceling properties, and wind protection, making them the best in their playing field.
So, if you plan on making a music video or recording a movie in the woods, then a Røde microphone is a must-have on your list.