VR headsets are used more and more in multimedia entertainment, be it for games or watching movies, as they are great for rendering 3D or 360 videos where immersiveness is taken to a whole new level.
While pretty much all VR headsets can be used to watch movies, some are better than others. That is why we compiled a list of what we think are the best VR headsets that can be used as home movie theaters.
Note: Deals are subject to change. Keep in mind that the price tag often varies. We recommend going on the vendor’s website to check the price. Some of the products may be out of stock by the time you’ve made your purchasing decision. So, hurry up and hit the buy button.
Everything you need is incorporated right into the helmet, so you don’t need a connection to an external PC or console, and it alco comes with the controlelrs included, so there’s no need to order anything else.
- Simply set up the device with your Oculus mobile app
- Oculus Quest has everything you need to explore VR, right out of the box
- Oculus Insight tracking system instantly reflects your movements in VR
- Oculus Touch controllers precisely recreate your hands, their gestures and interactions
- Oculus Quest works with your environment, so you can play standing or sitting, in spaces big or small
- Non-expandable memory
Sony PlayStation VR
If you’re looking to experience watching movies in a whole new manner, then the V is the right VR headset for you. This is thanks to the OLED screen that lets you get immersed in the movie that you are watching.
More so, the 3D audio allows sounds for your favorite blockbusters to surround you in a way that makes you feel as if you are actually there in the middle of the action.
- PlayStation VR delivers a new world of unexpected gaming experiences through PlayStation VR
- Easy to install
- Seamless visuals
- Expansive 5.7-inch OLED 1080p display running at up to 120 frames per second
- 3D Audio
- Low-resolution screen
- Wired connection required
Samsung Gear VR
If you want to experience watching movies in VR, but your budget is quite tight, then you should consider buying a Samsung Gear VR, which is a VR headset that requires a phone as a source for the media.
All you need to do is insert your Samsung phone into the slot, and open VR compatible movies from sites such as YouTube, and you will be able to enjoy them in a way that could not be possible if just watching from in front of a screen.
- Easy to use touchpad
- Wide field of view
- Precise head-tracking
- Low latency
- Compatible with: Samsung Galaxy S7, S7 edge,Note5,S6 edge+,S6,S6 edge
- Improved fit, including room for most eyeglasses and improved padding
- Requires Samsung phone
- The screen quality depends on your phone model
- Low-quality audio
- No access to social VR apps
Oculus Rift S
If you want to try VR movies in a way that will envelop and draw you in completely, then the Oculus Rift S is the right headset for you, thanks to the improved optics, and ergonomic design that will make you forget you are wearing it.
More so, if you want to switch from watching movies to gaming, then you should know that the Oculus Rift S is one of the best and most immersive VR headsets that money can buy today.
- Improved optics deliver bright, vivid colors and reduced “screen-door” effect
- Ergonomic design
- High-precision touch controllers
- Oculus Insight Tracking
- The price tag
- You need a powerful PC
If you’re looking to simply watch movies in a VR setting, there’s no way you could go wrong with the Valve Index. However, this VR headset is extremely powerful, and using it just for movies would be absurd, as it is made to render incredible expansive and large 3D VR ecosystems, such as games.
Nonetheless, if you do have it for games, know that you can use it to watch movies without any issues. But if just want to watch movies, you’d be better off going for some of the other entries on our list.
- Incredibly accurate screen quality
- Excellent audio
- Access to Steam Ecosystem
- The price tag
- Requires a powerful PC
- Budget overkill if you just want to watch movies
Closing thoughts on VR headsets for home movie theatres
The VR environment is evolving more and more, and movies that are designed for them are becoming more realistic and more immersive.
This means that if you too are planning on purchasing a headset to view movies in a 3D way like never before, then you should buy a VR headset that suits your needs.
Remember that watching movies isn’t a resource-intensive task, so if you are planning on buying a headset just for that, don’t bother breaking the budget on something too high-end.