- Iff you are dealing with black screen problems, please read the guidelines below for an easy fix for this Windows 8 and Windows 10 issue.
- One of our solutions requires you to create a bootabe Windows disk. Read our compleade guide on how to create one.
- For other Black screen of death problems, you might want to read all our articles regarding this issue.
- For other Windows 10 errors, check out our Windows 10 errors hub. We wrote extensively about this.
Many users have recently reported that there are some problems with the installation process of Windows 10.
As we all know even though these platforms are stable and great in both performances and built features, there are a few annoying and stressful issues.
Maybe the biggest problem is related to the black screen bug that occurs when you are trying to install or update your Windows 10 OS.
So, if you are dealing with black screen problems, don’t panic and read the guidelines from below as we will try to easily fix this Windows 10 issue.
Now, since Microsoft noticed so many complaints, the company decided to provide a few instructions to apply in order to fix the blank black screen received on the installation process of Windows 10.
Therefore, by using the steps from below you will learn how to fix the black screen issue by applying Microsoft’s own solution.
Now, use the steps from below and try to repair your Windows 10 system.
Also, check our own tips if the method presented below isn’t working as expected.
How do I fix Black Screen issue in Windows 10?
1. The official method provided by Microsoft
- You need to have your bootable Windows 8, 8.1, 10 disk.
- Insert the DVD on your device and restart the handset.
- In case you need to change the boot order just press F9 key from your keyboard.
- Pay attention as you will have to press any key in order to boot from CD / DVD – do that.
- Now the install sequence will begin; wait while all the Windows files are being loaded.
- The default Microsoft installer windows will be then displayed.
- From there click on next.
- Up next tap on Troubleshoot option placed on the lower left corner of the Windows installer screen.
- From the next window choose Troubleshoot Refresh or reset your PC, or use advanced tools and then head towards Advanced options.
- Open a command prompt window within the installation process by selecting Command Prompt option.
- In the cmd window that will be then displayed type C: press enter and then type bootrec /fixmbr and hit enter in the end.
- You should notice that The operation completed successfully message displayed on your device.
- In cmd type exit and press enter.
- Reject the Windows 10 installation DVD and select turn off your PC.
- Wait while your device is being powered off; reboot and that’s it. Now, that is how you can fix black screen on Windows 8 and Windows 10
2. Update your graphics drivers
Basically this issue is caused by driver incompatibility issues. So, if the steps from above aren’t working for you, you can also try to install the latest graphic drivers in safe mode.
Now, if you need to install AMD drivers also before rebooting your PC in normal mode don’t forget to uninstall Lucid MVP as this solution worked for a lot of Windows 10 users.
3. Disable your antivirus software
Another common cause for black screen issues after installing the latest Windows OS version might be your antivirus software.
As a matter of fact, many users who installed the Windows 10 April Update experienced black screen issues during the upgrade.
After they temporarily disabled their security solutions, they were able to install the new OS version.
So, try these steps and see if you can resolve the black screen from your Windows 10 system.
Also, use the comments field from below for sharing your experience with us and for pointing out any other solution that might work and help other Microsoft users.
Also, we will update this step by step guide accordingly.
FAQ: Read more about the black screen of death
- What causes black screen of death Windows 10?
- How do I fix black screen after login?
- What to do if monitor is not displaying?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2018 and has been since revamped and updated in March 2020 for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.