Blank page when printing from Internet Explorer [FIX]
Thousands of Windows 7 and Windows 10 users report that they can’t print pages from Internet Explorer after installing the June Patch Tuesday Updates. More specifically, the printed page are blank.
Here’s how one user describes this issue on Microsoft’s forum:
“Several of our users got security update KB4022719 last night and are now getting blank pages when printing from our Electronic Medical Records application which relies on Internet Explorer‘s printing functionality. The users who did not get this update are not having this problem. Uninstalling the update fixes the problem. I just want to spread the word that this is happening since I can’t find any other way to inform Microsoft.”
This problem seems to affect only Internet Explorer 11, as users can print using Chrome or Edge. So far, the culprits for this issue appear to be Windows 7 KB4012719 and Windows 10 KB4022725.
Fix: Internet Explorer prints blank pages
- Uninstall the updates
- Repair IE
- Update your printer drivers
- Disable Protected Mode
- Relocate your USER Folders to another drive or location
- Switch to an alternative browser when printing
Solution 1 – Uninstall the updates
If you often print webpages using Internet Explorer, the simplest way to fix this problem is to uninstall KB4012719, and KB4022725 respectively.
However, if you do want to benefit from the quality improvements brought by these two updates, you should keep them. In this case, follow the troubleshooting steps listed below. You can also use the following solutions to fix print problems in IE that are unrelated to Windows updates.
Solution 2 — Repair IE
You can repair IE by resetting the browser‘s settings. In this manner, you’ll return them to the state they were in when Internet Explorer was first installed on your PC. Keep in mind that resetting Internet Explorer isn’t reversible, and all settings are lost after the reset.
- Start Internet Explorer > go to the Tools menu > click Internet options.
- In the Internet Options window, select the Advanced tab.
- Click Reset and wait until Internet Explorer finishes applying the default settings.
- Click Close > OK > restart Internet Explorer.
Solution 3 — Update your printer drivers
- Go to Start > select Device Manager > expand Printers
- Find your printer in the list > right-click it > select Update Driver.
Solution 4 — Disable Protected Mode
- Click the Tools icon in Internet Explorer > select the Security tab > uncheck the checkbox beside Enable Protected Mode > click Apply > OK.
- Restart Internet Explorer again > browse to a website > test print a page while running the browser as Administrator.
Solution 5 — Relocate your USER Folders to another drive or location
- Close Internet Explorer > go to Start > launch Command Prompt as Administrator > type the following command: mkdir %userprofile%AppDataLocalTempLow
- Run Command Prompt as Administrator again and this time type this command: icacls %userprofile%AppDataLocalTempLow /setintegritylevel low
- Open Internet Explorer, and print some pages. The printed page should no longer be blank.
Solution 6 – Switch to an alternative browser when printing
This is just a mere workaround but you can also just copy-paste the webpage from one to another browser and print it that way. If the problem with printing blank pages appears solely on Internet Explorer, you can try and do the printing part on an alternative browser.
We hope that the one of the solutions listed above helped you fix the print issues affecting IE. If you’ve come across other solutions to fix this problem, feel free to list the troubleshooting steps in the comment section below.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2017 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
Selected boot image did not authenticate error message is linked with updates, upgrades and driver updates and likely common on HP computers. Note that this […]
Microsoft announced the Surface Hub 2 almost a year ago and recently shared more details on the product line. Surface Hub 2X will hit the […]
The Error loading player: No playable sources found message signals a problem that happened while an online video was loading on your browser. Shortly, when this […]