Fix: Can’t add phone number to Microsoft account
Make sure your internet is working smoothly, first of all.
- Microsoft wants users to connect to their online account in Windows 11.
- However, some reported that they weren't able to enter the verification code from their phone number.
- Read along to find out all sorts of simple workarounds you can try.
Microsoft oftentimes pushes users to connect or create an online account upon installing Windows 11, rather than letting them choose to log in with local accounts. Sometimes, adding phone numbers does not work at all, which can make your Windows 11 experience not so pleasing.
If adding a phone number to your Microsoft account isn’t working on your Windows PC, we’ll provide you with the steps needed to resolve the error.
Why can’t I add my phone number to my Microsoft account?
There are a couple of reasons why you can’t add your phone number to your Microsoft account. They include:
- Typing mistake – When prompted to receive a verification code, make sure that you’ve entered the last 4 digits of your phone number correctly.
- Weak signal – Make sure you have a strong signal to receive SMS messages.
- Phone settings – Sometimes, phone settings block texts from unknown numbers. If this is the case, make sure you modify it and then try again.
- Waiting time – Also, sometimes, pin messages may arrive in a few minutes. If this is the case, we advise you to wait.
Now that we know what we’re up against, let’s see how to fix the problem quickly.
What can I do if adding my phone number to my Microsoft account is not working?
1. Use a different number.
2. Request another verification code for a few hours or even a day.
3. Contact Microsoft support.
1. If any of the previous two isn’t working, go to Microsoft Support’s page. Click on Show expanded list of products.
2. Scroll down and click Get help and support.
3. Type I am unable to receive SMS code while adding a phone number to my account and click Get Help.
4. Click Contact support.
4. Select Other Products from the first drop down, and then Select your support category.
5. A window to Chat with a support agent in your web browser will pop up. Click on it.
Adding your phone number to your Microsoft account shouldn’t be a complicated task if you’ve played your cards right.
After all, it doesn’t require much technical know-how, and with these simple fixes, you should be able to continue experiencing your Windows 11 to the fullest.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.