The Taskbar has always been one of the most loved features of the Windows platform, but many users reported that they can’t unpin items from Taskbar. This can be a problem, and in today’s article, we’ll show you how to fix it.
What to do if I can’t unpin an app from the Taskbar?
1. Uninstall and re-install the app
- Click on Start > Settings > Apps.
- Select the app and click on the Uninstall button.
- Now install the application again.
- Try to unpin the app from the taskbar by right-clicking on it and selecting the Unpin from taskbar option. However, if issues persist, try the next method.
2. Run script file
- Open Notepad. (Simply type Notepad in the Cortana search box and select from the search result).
- Copy and paste the following four lines of text.
- DEL /F /S /Q /A “%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned\TaskBar\*”
- REG DELETE HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband /F
- taskkill /f /im explorer.exe
- start explorer.exe
- Click on Files on the top left corner and select Save.
- In the Save As dialog box, set Save as file type to All Files.
- Choose any file name of your choice but provide it with the extension .bat.
- For instance, it can be like Unpin from taskbar.bat.
- Double-click on the batch file you just created for the commands to take effect.
- Reboot your PC.
3. Unpin from Start menu
- Click on Start.
- The app you wish to unpin from the taskbar should also be there on the Start menu as well.
- Right click on the app and select More > Unpin from taskbar.
- The app should be gone from the taskbar. If not, try the next method.
4. Switch to Desktop mode from Tablet mode
- For those who aren’t aware of the same, the concept of Taskbar is relevant only in the Desktop mode.
- So if you have the Tablet mode enabled on your PC, toggle it off to invoke Desktop mode.
- To toggle off Tablet mode, click on Notification center at the bottom right corner and disable Tablet mode.
This should be all you need to do if you are unable to unpin an app from the taskbar.
- Double Google Chrome icon on the taskbar [QUICK FIX]
- Follow these simple steps to pin websites from Edge to taskbar
- Show Network icon in Taskbar on Windows 7/ Windows 10 [GUIDE]