The Chassis intruded Fatal Error… System Halted error message is usually a hardware issue. The message shows when the chassis or the cabinet in which the motherboard is fitted gets open somehow.
This way, the feature can be considered to be a security mechanism provided by some OEMs – usually common on ASUS motherboards – wherein the message seeks to warn the user if the cabinet is breached. The mechanism uses a connector on the motherboard which is able to detect if the chassis is removed/ replaced.
That said, the above message can also appear if there are issues with the BIOS or CMOS. However, notwithstanding how intricate the error might seem, it can be resolved easily and quickly with minimum effort.
What is chassis intruded fatal error and how to fix it?
1. Put the cabinet back in place
- This often is the easiest and the most logical solution to the issue.
- However, before physically putting in the cabinet, you will also have to put the jumper back on the pin marked chassis signal on the motherboard.
- In some cases, there might be a switch mechanism which gets engaged once the cabinet is locked in its slot in the proper manner.
2. Clear CMOS
- The first step would be to turn off the PC as well as all peripheral devices connected to the PC. Also, disconnect the AC power cord as well for additional safety.
- Open the PC cabinet cover.
- Locate the battery fitted on the motherboard. Refer to the company manual if needed.
- Remove the battery. Remember the + and – side to prevent nasty surprises later on.
- Wait for at least 5 minutes.
- Insert the battery again, but make sure that it’s inserted properly.
- Place the cabinet cover securely.
- Connect to the AC outlet and start your PC.
Note: The above represents the battery method to clear CMOS, and the same can also be achieved using the jumper method as well.
However, it can be a bit more tricky and is best done under the supervision of a hardware specialist if you aren’t too comfortable with the motherboard and its components.
3. Disable Chassis intrusion
- Restart your PC.
- When the PC has just started to boot, press Del or F2 repeatedly under the BIOS screen appear. Refer to the company manual for the exact key applicable for your PC to enter into BIOS.
- Locate the Chassis intrusion feature and set it to Disabled.
The above steps should be all that is needed to take care of the Chassis intruded! Fatal Error… System Halted error message. Some of the steps mentioned above require you to have some amount of hardware skills, so you might want to contact a professional.