Why is my computer not recognizing Adobe Flash Player in IE?
Steps to fix Flash Player issues on IE
- Turn Off ActiveX Filtering in Internet Explorer
- Add Websites to Compatibility View
- Reregister the Flash.ocx File
- Reset the Browser
Internet Explorer was once among the foremost web browsers, and it still retains a reasonably substantial user base. Some Internet Explorer 11 users have stated that IE doesn’t recognize Adobe Flash Player even though they have installed the latest Flash version and enabled it in browser.
Consequently, website pages open in Explorer display blank boxes instead of Flash videos. That usually happens if Flash is not configured correctly, ActiveX filtering is on or if the flash.ocx file is corrupted. These are a few resolutions that might fix Flash when your PC’s IE browser doesn’t recognize Adobe Flash Player.
SOLVED: My computer fails to recognize Adobe Flash Player
1. Turn Off ActiveX Filtering in Internet Explorer
Adobe Flash Player is an ActiveX control in Internet Explorer 11. Enabling ActiveX Filtering in Explorer turns Flash Player off. As such, switching ActiveX Filtering off, if it’s on, will probably ensure that IE recognizes Flash again and displays its video content on webpages. This is how you can turn off ActiveX Filtering in IE 11.
- First, press the Cortana Type here to search button to open Windows 10’s search box.
- Enter ‘Internet Explorer‘ in the search box and select to open that browser.
- Then click the Tools button to open the menu in the snapshot directly below.
- Select Safety and click ActiveX Filtering if it’s ticked to deselect it.
— RELATED: Adobe to finally kill Flash Player in 2020
2. Add Websites to Compatibility View
- Adding websites to Compatibility View might display their Flash Player content. To do that, open the website that doesn’t display the Flash content in Internet Explorer
- Click the Tools button in IE.
- Select the Compatibility View settings option to open the window in the snapshot directly below.
- Click Add to add the website to Compatibility View.
- Select the Display intranet sites in Compatibility View option.
- Select the Use Microsoft compatibility lists setting, and click the Close button.
- Then restart your IE browser.
3. Reregister the Flash.ocx File
- You might need to reregister the flash.ocx file if it’s corrupted or not registered. To do that, right-click the Start button to open the menu below.
- Select Command Prompt (Admin) to open the Prompt.
- Enter ‘regsvr32 c:windowssystem32macromedflashflash.ocx’ in the Command Prompt, and press the Return key.
- Click OK on the RegSvr32 dialog box that opens.
- Restart your desktop and or laptop.
4. Reset the Browser
Internet Explorer includes a Reset option that you can click to restore the browser to default settings. Some IE users have confirmed that resetting Explorer fixed Adobe Flash Player. You can reset IE as follows.
- Click the Tools button in IE.
- Select Internet options to open the window shown directly below.
- Select the Advanced tab on the Internet Properties window.
- Then press the Reset button to restore IE to its default configuration.
One, or more, of the above resolutions will probably fix Flash Player in your Internet Explorer browser. Aside from those fixes, make sure that your IE browser has had all the latest updates, which you can do by clicking Check for Windows updates now on this page. In addition, you could also try uninstalling and reinstalling Flash as covered in this post.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT:
- New Adobe Flash zero day vulnerability provides users more reasons to disable the tool
- Fix: Shockwave Flash Player Crash In Windows 10
- Full Fix: Adobe error 16 on Windows 10, 8.1, 7
After recently releasing a bunch of new cumulative updates for multiple versions of Windows, Microsoft now rolls out two new builds to Windows Insiders in […]
If you asked yourself the question: Why is CloudFlare checking my browser you came to the right place. You are not the only one asking […]
We all know that every virtual machine needs a Network Adapter for connectivity. However, there are many situations when you may need to change the […]