- A DD-WRT router is your best option if you want to tweak it features and install a VPN.
- Choosing the best router is a hard job, though, but we're trying to make it easier for you with these top 5 DD-WRT routers in terms of performance, coverage, and other features.
- If you want to learn more about routers, check out our dedicated Routers Section on the website.
- Curious to find more deals? We've got excellent recommendations in our Network & Connectivity Hub.
A DD-WRT router is a router that has a special open-source software (firmware) called DD-WRT installed on it to allow you to customize its features.
DD-WRT routers are preferred when you want to add an extra layer of protection to your all web traffic by setting up a VPN directly onto the router.
Also, they are the best choice if your household has multiple Internet-connected devices at the same time.
Not to mention that by using DD-WRT routers you can stream geo-restricted content, which is a huge problem with many on-demand video providers that only offer services in certain territories.
You can either purchase a DD-WRT router with a pre-flashed VPN, or you can set it up yourself, with a VPN client of your own preference.
Now, when you decide upon buying a DD-WRT router, there are a few aspects to take into consideration, such as performance, the number of devices to cover, specific use.
So check out our top picks below and put one on your to-buy list!
What are the best DD-WRT routers deals?
- Tri band (Dual 5 GHz, single 2; 4 GHz)
- Supports every operating System, including Windows, macOS and Linux
- Protection powered by Trend Micro
- ASUS Smart Connect
- AiMesh only works via WPS
One of the most powerful routers available right now, the Asus RT-AC5300 is perfect for large homes with its eight Ethernet ports.
It can easily cover more than 10 devices and comes with a powerful 1.4GHz processor reaching a top speed of 5,334Mbps.
Thanks to the four-receive configuration, the covered devices won’t interfere, so transfer rates are excellent. This is probably the best router for seamless streaming and gaming.
- Fast wireless router
- Tri stream 160 technology
- Dual-band Wi-Fi speeds up to 2.6 Gbps
- Operating temperature: 32 to 104 F (0 to 40 C)
- It loses signal from the modem
With an impressive dual-core 1.6GHz processor, this router can deliver top speeds over dual Wi-Fi bands of 1,900Mbps.
It also boasts an outstanding file transfer speed thanks to an eSATA port, doubled by a 3.0 USB port for file sharing.
The MU-MIMO antennas allow the router to communicate with multiple devices at the same time, increasing the speed of the Wi-Fi network, however it is possible that not every VPN is compatible.
- Fast Wi-Fi performance
- Recommended for up to 25 devices
- Wired Ethernet ports
- Safe & secure
- The router is dropping signal
This one is another excellent option for gaming and video streaming fans. It is not as powerful as the first two options, but still, it is suitable for smaller homes.
The maximum download speed is 1,750Mbps, divided into two channels. The power antennas are adjustable, but also detachable.
- Fast Wi-Fi performance
- Recommended for up to 30 devices
- Smart parental controls
- Netgear Armor
- Complaints about the software
One of the most popular routers among VPN fans is the Netgear R7000 router.
Some notable details about it are the stable performance thanks to the dynamic QoS for gaming and streaming, as well as the very good coverage for large spaces and more than 10 devices.
It also comes equipped with a 2.0 USD port for your printer and a 3.0 SUB port for external hard drive or flash stick.
- Dual-band Wireless N
- Up to 300 + 300 Mbps transfer speed
- MIMO antenna array
- 4 Fast Ethernet (10/100 Mbps) ports
- Needs to call the Linksys customer support to set up the router
A discreet and sleek wireless router, with dual-band Wireless N technology for an optimal coverage over the Internet, and no interference between your devices whatsoever.
The MIMO antenna provides good signal strength at a distance. Set up can be done in just 3 steps using the included Cisco Connect software.
These were our choices for DD-WRT routers. If you have any suggestions on this selection or if you want to add your own preference, please use the comments sections below.
FAQ: Read more about DD-WRT routers
- Is my router a DD-WRT?
Log in to the router control panel by entering the router’s default IP address 192.168.1.1 in a browser. From here, go to the Router tab under Status and find the Firmware Version o your device.
- How safe is DD-WRT?
In terms of safety, DD-WRT routers are just as safe as regular routers, as long as you maintain them updated. Given the open-source firmware, updating can be quicker. Also, some routers come with auto-update features.
- Why DD-WRT is better?
DD-WRT firmware is preferred when you want to customize some features, especially to add a VPN directly onto your router.