Read the affiliate disclosure page to find out how can you help Windows Report effortlessly and without spending any money. Read more
While travelling, it’s always useful to have a map available. Since most of us rely on our mobile devices for navigation, it’s no wonder that the number of map apps is always on the rise. As you might know by now, HERE isn’t one of them as the company recently announced it would be dropping support for Windows 10.
Still, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t alternative map applications available. In fact, Windows 10 comes with its own Maps app based on HERE apps. And in order to provide its users with the most accurate maps, Microsoft has updated offline maps for Windows 10.
Microsoft updates Windows 10 offline maps
Here’s how to download the latest update for Windows 10 Maps:
- Open Settings > System > Offline Maps.
- Go to the Map Updates section and click the Check now button.
- If the update is available, it will be downloaded to your computer.
In case you haven’t used offline maps before, you’ll first need to select your country in order to download offline maps for it by doing the following:
- Open Settings app and choose System > Offline Maps.
- Under the Maps section, click on Download maps button.
- Follow the instructions and select the desired country.
- After you’ve done that, maps for that country will be downloaded and stored on your Windows 10 device.
If you wish to keep your maps updated, feel free to turn on automatic map updates. Another useful feature for owners of Windows 10 tablet or 2-in-1 device is support for metered connections. By turning off metered connections option, map updates will be downloaded only if you’re using Wi-Fi or unlimited cellular data connection.
Offline maps are always useful, especially if you need to check the map quickly or if you don’t have an internet connection available. If you haven’t already, make sure that you update offline maps on your Windows 10 device.