- Dropbox is a user-friendly, very accessible cloud app where you can safely keep important documents, including your large music files.
- Users have taken to the forums concerned about how to stream their music since Dropbox is not a music player.
- Skim through our Dropbox-related section; maybe you'll find something useful.
- And if you're looking for some inspiration on cloud apps, don't hesitate to search our website for the dedicated hub.
Widely known as a cloud storage space for all types of files, Dropbox can also keep large files with your favorite music to your account. Ideally, there’s o need to download the music back on your device if you want to listen to it.
However, Dropbox hasn’t been developed to act as a music player app by definition. While you can listen to songs one at a time, streaming the files requires a third-party music player.
How can I play music from Dropbox?
1. How to upload music to your Dropbox account?
If you’re using the desktop app, you can simply drag and drop your file into the cloud.
If you’re using the mobile app (available for both Android and iOS), open Dropbox, select the folder where you want your music stored and open it, then click Upload and select the specific file music that you need to save.
- Sign in to your Dropbox account.
- Single-click an audio file and its preview page will open.
- Click on the preview to play it.
Note that this will only play the respective file. You can move to fast-forward or rewind the same file, while the app is open. Alternatively, the best way to stream your music from your Dropbox account is to find a media player that suits your needs.
Here are a few suggestions of popular media players integrated with Dropbox:
- Jukebox (PC)
- Clementine (PC)
- CloudPlayer (Android, iOS)
- Evermusic (iOS)
- Sound Weaver (iOS) (paid)
- iTunes (you have to sync your Dropbox music files on all your devices)
Hopefully, you’ll find the best music player so that you can fully enjoy your music without overloading the memory of your devices.
FAQ: Learn more about storing music files in Dropbox
- Can you stream music from Dropbox?
Dropbox is not a music player by default. So the best way to use Dropbox to stream your music is to install a third-party music player compatible with the app.
- Does Dropbox compress audio files?
Dropbox is one of the cloud storage apps that save files in their original size, without compromising the quality. Depending on the size of your audio library, you can choose between the subscription plans offered by the producer.
- Can I store my music in the cloud?
You can store your music on any storage app that allows waw or mp3 files. There are numerous hosting apps, some for free (up to a certain storage capacity), some paid. Some of the most popular are Dropbox, WeTransfer, SoundCloud, or Google Play.