- If you wonder how to download the DuckDuckGo browser on Windows 11, you can only use it as a search engine added to your current browser.
- The browser version of the app is only available on mobile phones.
- DuckDuckGo prioritizes searches privacy and blocks any potential trackers.
Users have been asking how they can download the DuckDuckGo browser for PC on Windows 11. Note that the browser itself is only available on mobile phones.
Whilst on your computer, it can only be set as the default search engine inside your browser such as Microsoft Edge, Firefox, Opera, or other Chromium-based browsers.
DuckDuckGo is a search engine that prioritizes privacy and puts an emphasis on preserving searchers’ security by avoiding the filter bubble.
When you install or upgrade to Windows 11, the default browser is changed to Microsoft Edge, and the default search engine is set to Bing.
Aside from that, installing Google Chrome, Firefox, or any other browser will make the Google search engine the default search engine for that particular browser.
If you wish to regain control over your privacy, you may do so by making DuckDuckGo your default search engine within your browser. Follow along as we will show you how to do that, right after we see in more detail how it works.
How does DuckDuckGo work?
DuckDuckGo does not track your search history, and instead of forcing you to move to a different version of its software, it just deletes it.
All searches conducted through DuckDuckGo are routed through encrypted versions of websites (when possible). Thus making it more difficult for others to see what you’re looking at on the Internet.
The same can be said about other search engines when both encrypted and unencrypted alternatives are available. But the default is not always the most privacy-friendly option. By eliminating the need to manually navigate to encrypted connections, DuckDuckGo saves you time and effort.
Besides that, it actively prevents third-party trackers from following you around on the Internet and collecting data about you.
How can I download DuckDuckGo on Windows 11?
- Head to DuckDuckGo’s website on your default browser. Note that you will be able to only add DuckDuckGo as a search engine to your browser.
- Here, click on Add DuckDuckGo to your browser. In our case, we will be using Opera. A list of steps will be shown that you need to take in order to add DuckDuckGo.
- Go to your browser’s menu and access the Settings panel.
- Look for the Search Engine option either by going to the Browser section or typing search engine. Lastly, select DuckDuckGo from the options there. That’s it!
In the context of the Internet, a search engine is a software system that is designed to do web searches. They conduct a systematic search of the World Wide Web for specific information that has been specified in a textual web search request.
It is common for search engine results to be presented in a list of results, which is commonly referred to as search engine results pages (SERPs).
For more information on Internet security, check out our post on the five best private search engines and why you need to use them.
Was this guide useful to you? Don’t hesitate to share your thoughts with us in the comments section below. Thanks for reading!