Making sure your folders with music, films, and other kinds of data are saved properly on your storage device (USB) is really an important thing to do before removing the USB. So if you are trying to properly remove the USB hardware on Windows 8.1 and you have trouble doing so, we will see exactly how to access this feature by reading the short tutorial below.
On the older versions of Windows, ejecting the USB drive from the “Safely remove Hardware “shortcut was usually easy to find. Well, since Microsoft introduced us to Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 operating system, a lot of people seem to be having problems finding this icon and using it properly. I will show you exactly how to properly eject the usb drive in a few short steps.
How to safely remove USB on Windows 8.1
The idea of the steps explained below is to first create a shortcut of your”Safely Remove Hardware” if it is not already on your taskbar and properly eject the USB storage device.
1. Let’s press the “Window + D” buttons on your keyboard in order to see the windows desktop.
2. Right click on a free space on the desktop and select “New” from the tab that appears by left clicking on it.
3. Now after the “New” tab is opened we need to select “Shortcut” by left clicking on it.
4. We need to copy and paste the command:
RunDll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll in the space where it says “Type the location of the item”
5. Press “Next” button on the lower side of the Shortcut window.
6. Press “Finish” button on the lower side of the Shortcut window.
7. As a shortcut name we can use “Remove Hardware” or any name you find more appropriate.
8. Ok, now that you have the shortcut on the desktop, before you unplug the USB you need to double click (left click) the “Remove Hardware” icon and select the USB you want to remove by left clicking on it.
9. Now select “Stop” on the lower side of the “Safely Remove hardware “window you opened.
10. Windows will notify you with a message when it will be safe to remove the USB hardware from your computer. That is all; this is how you can safely remove your USB storage device on Windows 8.1.If you have any other thoughts don t hesitate to write below.