Users of the Windows 10 Fast Ring could sometimes face an error when updating their Windows 10 Technical Preview version to the next build. Apparently, Windows 10 update error 0x80246017 appears and the update installation gets stuck. Luckily, there’s a solution for this problem, and you’ll find it in this article.
How to fix Windows Update error 0x80246017
You can try one of these three following solutions in order to resolve the 0x080246017 update error in Windows 10.
Solution 1: Delete Previous Windows Installation files
The most common solution for the Windows 10 update error 0x08246017 error is deleting previous Windows installation files. To delete these files, just do the following:
- Open Command Prompt as admin.
- Type the following command and press Enter:
- rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN
- Close the Command Prompt
- Now go to Search, type disk cleanup and one Disk Cleanup tool
- Remove Temporary files and Previous Windows Installations
- Reboot your computer
If this workaround didn’t get the job done, you can try with a little registry tweak, just follow the instructions shown below.
Solution 2: Reset registry keys values
Installing the new build should set the registry keys values back to normal, but if it somehow fails to, you won’t be able to install the update. Thus, the Windows 10 update error 0x80246017 or some similar error might appear. To fix this issue, just follow these instructions:
- Go to Search, type regedit and open Registry Editor
- Navigate to the following path:
- Find BranchName and check if it shows FBL_AWESOME1501 (If it doesn’t, change it)
- Locate TresholdRiskLevel and change it to low
- Find TresholdInternal and delete it
- Find TresholdOptedIn and delete it
- Close Registry Editor
Solution 3: Run the Update Troubleshooter
Windows 10 also features a built-in troubleshooting tool that can help you to fix general update issues and bugs. So, if the two methods listed above didn’t work, you can go to Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot and run the troubleshooter.
Solution 4: Disable your antivirus
As many Windows 10 users have found out by now, sometimes your antivirus software may trigger various update errors. The quickest way to fix this issue is to simply disable your antivirus tool and re-enable it after you’ve installed the latest updates.
That would be all, after performing one of these fixes, you should be able to install the latest build update for your Windows 10 Technical Preview build.
If you have any questions, suggestions or maybe you know other solutions to fix the Windows 10 update error 0x80246017, make sure you reach for the comments section and share your ideas.
RELATED GUIDES TO CHECK OUT:
- FIX: Windows Update cannot check for updates, the service is not running
- FIX: Microsoft Store Stopped Working after Windows 10 Update
- Full Fix: BSOD errors after installing Surface Updates
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in June 2015 and has been since updated for freshness, and accuracy.