Error joining multiplayer session is a Steam error, and it will prevent you from playing certain games online. This can be a big issue for many gamers, but we have a couple of solutions that might be able to fix your problem.
What to do if Error joining multiplayer session message appears in Steam? Your VPN can create problems with your network connection, so be sure to disable it if you encounter this error. If that doesn’t help, try using Framework repair tool and also check the game‘s cache.
How can I fix Error joining multiplayer session in Steam?
- Use the Framework repair tool
- Deleting cache
- Disable VPN software
- Confirm the Integrity of Game Cache
- Deny permissions of Folders
1. Use the Framework repair tool
Some users have fixed Error joining multiplayer session error simply by running the Microsoft .NET framework repair tool. Here’s how to use this tool:
- Download the Microsoft .NET framework repair tool.
- Select the NetFXRepairTool.exe and download it.
- Open the downloaded file and follow the instructions on the screen.
- Once this is done, restart your computer.
- Try running the game and see if the error has been fixed.
2. Deleting cache
According to users, Error joining multiplayer session message can appear due to corrupted cache, but you can fix it by clearing the cache. To do that, follow these steps:
- Open File Explorer and go to Documents > My Games folder.
- Select the following folders: packageddumps, moduserdat. Right-click and select Delete.
- Restart the game.
If the error persists, move on to the next method.
3. Disable VPN software
If this error comes up while trying to play a game online, it is possible that the error is caused by the VPN software. If that’s the case, disable VPN and see if it that solves the issue. If you’re still concerned about your privacy online, maybe you should consider switching to CyberGhost VPN, since it won’t interfere with your gaming sessions in any way.
4. Confirm the Integrity of Game Cache
Several users have said that they were able to fix the Error joining multiplayer session message by verifying the integrity of the game cache. Here is a step to step guide on how to do this:
- Open Steam and right click on the game that’s giving you this error.
- Navigate to Properties, then Local Files.
- Now, make a click on Verify Integrity of Game Cache button and wait for the process to finish.
After doing that, check if the problem is resolved.
5. Deny permissions of Folders
Sometimes denying access to certain folders can fix Error joining multiplayer session error. To do that follow these steps:
- Go to Documents > My Games folder.
- Select the following folders: packageddumps, moduserdat.
- Do a right click on the cache folder and, then, select Properties.
- Go to the Security tab and choose a group of usernames from the group.
- After selecting, press the Edit button.
- Select the first group or username and check the Deny box.
- Repeat the previous step for other user groups.
- Save changes.
- Repeat step 2 – 5 with the other folders. (logs, packaged dumps, dumps and so on).
- Once this has been done, restart the game.
We hope that our solutions helped you fix Error joining multiplayer session Steam error. If the issue is resolved, feel free to say thanks in the comments section below.
RELATED STORIES TO CHECK OUT: