Extract CAB file in Windows 10/11 [Complete Guide]
- CAB files aren’t used that much anymore, but they were a dominant archive format in the past.
- In today’s article, we’ll show you how to extract CAB files properly in Windows 10.
- Want to learn more about file compression? Be sure to check this Compressed files article for more information.
- Looking for more useful guides like this one? Our How To Hub has more articles like this, so be sure to check it out.
CAB file is an archive file format that is still used by some users. Although this is an archive format, it’s not as popular as ZIP or RAR, and users don’t know how to properly extract it.
In today’s article, we’re going to show you how to extract the CAB file on Windows 10 fast and without any issues.
How do I extract a CAB file in Windows 10?
1. Use WinZip
WinZip is a well-known file archiver software, and it’s the best way to extract CAB files. The software offers native support for CAB files, and you can extract them simply by opening them with WinZip.
The software also supports ZIP, RAR, 7Z, TAR, ISO, IMG, and other popular archive formats. WinZip can compress any file type, and there’s an encryption option available, so you can easily protect your files.
WinZip can also be used to manage, backup, and split files, and there’s even support for cloud storage sharing. If you need a tool that can handle CAB files out of the box, WinZip is the best choice.
Other great features:
- Can handle all popular archive formats
- Native support for CAB format
- File encryption
- File management, file splitting
- Cloud storage support
WinZipWinZip is a file archiver software that can easily open and extract CAB files.
2. Use the command line
- Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu.
- Now select PowerShell (Admin) or Command Prompt (Admin).
- Now you just need to run one of the several commands explained below.
There are two commands that you can use to extract CAB files, and we’ll show you how each of these commands works.
Expand WindowsReport.cab -F:* C:\WindowsReport
extrac32.exe WindowsReport.cab /L "C:\WindowsReport\"
These commands are useful since they can extract CAB files without relying on any third-party software. However, to use these methods you’ll need to have the same familiarity with the command line.
If you’re not a fan of the command line, you should be able to open and extract CAB files like any other file, simply by double-clicking it, and Windows should be able to handle it.
Extracting CAB files on Windows 10 is pretty simple, but if you want to extract and manage CAB files like a pro, then we suggest using the WinZip software.