- BZ2 files are mostly present on Linux and UNIX, but you can also encounter them on Windows 10.
- In order to open the BZ2 file on Windows 10, you need to use specialized tools, and in this article, we’ll show you how to do that.
- If you want to read more related articles and in-depth guides, visit our File Management Software section.
- For more useful guides like this one, we suggest you visit our File Opener Hub.
The BZ2 file format is usually used for Linux or UNIX systems and can only compress one file at a time. It cannot be used for multiple files.
You can though compress multiple files using a different tool and afterward get that final archive and compress it with BZIP2.
Even if BZIP2 is not used in Windows 10 as much as on the other mentioned operating system, there are ways to decompress the BZ2 file.
In this article, we will show you some really easy ways to extract and decompress BZ2 in your Windows 10 device.
How can I extract and decompress BZ2 files in Windows 10?
1. Use a dedicate tool
There are many tools out there that will allow you to decompress and extract BZ2 files and after testing them all, we would like to recommend you the best one to use.
WinZip is a versatile tool that does not only open BZ2 format files but many more others, such as RAR, 7Z, ISO, IMG, TAR, GZ, TAZ, TGZ.
This complex software supports all the above formats but is more than just a simple compressing and archiving tool.
WinZip can also repair zip files, manage them and in addition to all that it comes with a very strong security feature.
The almost bank-level encryption feature will make sure your files are safe even while compressing them.
If you are sharing them online or sending them via email, then you can rest assured that at any moment your data is safe and secured. You can password protect your archive and opening them without it would not be possible.
If you will prefer to protect them using a password, make sure to use a password manager tool, just to make sure that you will also have it at hand any time you need it.
This amazing software makes sending large files via email possible. Most of the time this is a great concern for all members of a team when they need to share a large file.
What WinZip will do, is break the big file into smaller chunks (in case of ISO image) without affecting the image quality in any way.
Moreover, if you are used in working with cloud system storage, such as Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive with WinZip you will be able to manage your files inside of the cloud, without having to interrupt in any way your work-flow.
This versatile software will also allow you to unzip multiple files simultaneously and even protect them with a password.
Here is how you can extract the BZ2 files using WinZip:
- Make sure to save the BZ2 file on your device.
- Go to the Integration Panel in WinZip and make sure that the BZ2 file extension check box is ticked.
- Launch WinZip from the start menu.
- Next, click on File and select Open.
- Select the file or files inside the compressed folder.
- Click on Unzip and choose where you want them to be saved.
Let’s have a look at some of its key features:
- Advanced compression options.
- File management and file splitting.
- Automatically detects and deletes duplicate files.
- Integration with Microsoft Teams.
- 128/256 AES Encryption Technology.
- Backup features.
Extract and decompress all your BZ2 files with this reliable software. Get the best deal now!
2. Use an online tool
Another easy and fast way to extract and decompress BZ2 files is by using an online website.
There are many options out there that will do exactly that and finding the right one for you should not be a problem.
Usually, these kind of decompression websites runs locally as a browser app, which will make the process work faster.
Based on how they were created, some will have size limitations for how big can the BZ2 file you are trying to extract, can be. There are websites though that will not have such conditions.
One important aspect that you will need to keep in mind is the privacy of your data. Taking into consideration that you will be uploading them online, it’s important to check on their website how secure it also.
Moreover, make sure to check before downloading the extracted files back on your device, that your antivirus is active and working properly.
Considering that the file will be downloaded over the Internet is better to have an extra layer of security that will keep your privacy in check.
3. Use Command Prompt
- Go to Start and search for Command Prompt.
- Right-click on CMD and select Run as administrator.
- Type the following command and press Enter.
$ bunzip2 -k filename.bz2
There you have it. Extracting and decompressing BZ2 files in Windows 10 can be done pretty easily.
You can either use CMD, use a dedicated tool such as WinZip, or simply extract them online. Any of them are good options and will do the work just fine.
If you have additional comments or suggestions, please let us know in the comments section below.