- BZ2 files are mostly present on Linux and UNIX, but you can also encounter them on Windows.
- In order to open a BZ2 file on Windows 10 or 11, you can use a dedicated tool.
The BZ2 file format is usually used for Linux or UNIX systems and can only compress one file at a time. It cannot be used for multiple files.
You can, though, compress multiple files using a different tool and afterward get that final archive and compress it with BZIP2.
Even if BZIP2 is not used in Windows 10 as much as on the other mentioned operating system, there are ways to decompress the BZ2 file.
This article will show you some really easy ways to extract and decompress BZ2 on your Windows 10 device.
How can I extract and decompress BZ2 files in Windows 10?
1. Use a dedicated tool to unzip BZ2 files
There are many tools out there that will allow you to decompress and extract BZ2 files and after testing them all, we would like to recommend you the best one to use.
WinZip is a versatile tool that not only opens BZ2 format files but many others, such as RAR, 7Z, ISO, IMG, TAR, GZ, TAZ, and TGZ.
This complex software supports all the above formats but is more than just a simple compressing and archiving tool.
How we test, review and rate?
We have worked for the past 6 months on building a new review system on how we produce content. Using it, we have subsequently redone most of our articles to provide actual hands-on expertise on the guides we made.
For more details you can read how we test, review, and rate at WindowsReport.
WinZip can also repair and manage zip files. In addition, it comes with strong security features. The almost bank-level encryption feature will make sure your files are safe even while compressing them.
If you are sharing them online or sending them via email, then you can rest assured that at any moment your data is safe and secured.
You can password-protect your archive and opening them without it would not be possible.
If you prefer to protect them using a password, make sure to keep a good password manager too at hand.
Here is how you can extract BZ2 files using WinZip:
- Make sure to save the BZ2 file on your device.
- Download and install WinZip on your PC.
- Go to the Integration Panel in WinZip and make sure that the BZ2 file extension check box is ticked.
- Launch WinZip from the start menu.
- Next, click on File and select Open.
- Select the file or files inside the compressed folder.
- Click on Unzip and choose where you want them to be saved.
This unique software makes sending large files via email possible. Most of the time this is a great concern for all team members when they need to share a large file.
WinZip will break the big file (such as ISO images, for instance) into smaller chunks without affecting the image quality in any way.
Moreover, if you are used to working with cloud system storage, such as Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive, you can manage your files inside the cloud without interrupting your workflow.
2. Use the native app
- Go to the Bzip2 Github page and download the right tool for your Windows system (32bit or 64bit).
- Extract the files on your PC and run the bzip2.exe file.
- However, you will also need the vcruntime140.dll installed from Visual Studio 2015 C Runtime Library. Visit Microsoft’s Latest Supported Visual C++ Downloads page for download links if you don’t have it installed.
The Bzip2 developer recently created a Windows app you can install on your PC. However, if you don’t have Visual C++ installed, it’s more complicated than using WinZip, 7Zip, or other readily available unarchivers that support the BZ2 format.
3. Use an online tool to open BZ2 files
Another easy and fast way to extract and decompress BZ2 files is through an online website.
There are many options out there that will do exactly that, and finding the right one for you should not be a problem.
Usually, decompression websites run locally as a browser app, making the process work faster.
Based on how they were created, some will have size limitations for how big the BZ2 file you are trying to extract can be. There are websites, though, that will not have such conditions.
One crucial aspect you will need to keep in mind is the privacy of your data. Considering that you will be uploading information online, it’s essential to check how secure the site is.
Moreover, before downloading the extracted files onto your device, check that your antivirus is active and working correctly.
Considering that the file will be downloaded over the Internet, it’s better to have an extra layer of security that will keep your privacy in check.
Please let us know in the comments section below if you have additional comments or suggestions.