4 fastest SD card readers [Best deals]
- Many devices use microSD or SD cards to save data. To move them to your computer, you'll need a little hardware called SD card reader.
- This guide will help you get the best SD card reader with focus on speed, an important feature when moving data to your computer.
- In our Buying section, you can find numerous articles about the best hardware and software you can get.
- If you're looking for storage media to save your files, our Storage hub will help you find the proper devices.
SD card is a type of non-volatile memory card for portable devices. Devices like cameras and phones use a microSD or SD card to store your files and pictures.
If you need to move your data on a computer, you will most probably need an SD card reader, because modern laptop and desktop do not include card readers anymore.
When buying a card reader, you should consider things like the connection type, card format, and read-write speed. With SD cards having more storage memory and cameras taking photos at high resolutions, speed is an important feature for a card reader.
What are the best SD card readers?
- Very small and portable
- USB 3.0 for fast transfer rates
- Slick design
- Only 2 slots for cards
Anker is a small 2-in-1 card reader solution, with support for both SD and microSD cards.
Compatible with both Windows and Mac, this device does not require any additional drivers to work as soon as you connect it. It uses a built-in USB 3.0 connector for transfer speeds up to 5GB/s.
If you’re looking for something compact and easy to use, Anker 2-in-1 is a good choice.
UNITEK SD Card Reader
- Best USB Type-C card reader
- 3 slots for most frequently SD card types
- Plug&Play device, no drivers needed
- Not compatible with all USB Type-C devices
This Unitek SD reader is the best option for anyone who needs a universal card reader for a device with USB-C ports.
Unitek USB C reader helps you to easily transfer data from a memory card to your USB Type-C ( or Thunderbolt 3 Port) computer or tablet. It is compatible with devices such as MacBook and MacBook Pro, iPad Pro, Surface Book 2, Samsung Galaxy, Pixelbook, Galaxy Book, and others.
You can plug up to 3 types of cards: microSD, SD and CF. The USB type C connecter offers the same speed as USB 3.0, so the read-write speed is up to 5GB/s.
If you need a card reader that can transfer data from your phone to your tablet, consider this one.
SmartQ C368 Card Reader
- Best value for the price
- Plug&Play device compatible with all popular OS
- USB 3.0 connector
- No simultaneous use of all the slot
SmartQ is another great SD card reader, well priced and with a lot of positive feedback from its customers.
This device can read up to 4 types of cards: microSD, SD, CF, and MF. The last 2 are pretty rare nowadays, but there are still some devices that use them. Unfortunately, you can not use all of the 4 slots at the same time.
In terms of performance and OS compatibility, SmartQ is almost the same as the above UNGREEN, with transfer speed up to 5GB/s, and compatible with the same OS platforms.
The SmartQ C368 is a decent reader, small enough so that you can store it anywhere.
WARRKY Multi-Card Reader
- 3 USB 3.0 available ports
- Supports up to 2TB SD/Micro SD card
- Plug&Play, no drivers needed for most popular OS
- It gets hot in case of heavy use
Warrky multi-card reader is the best you can get if you want a hub not only with SD slots but also with USB ports.
If your computer or laptop has a few USB ports, you will definitely like this reader. Besides the four types of SD slots, it comes with three more USB 3.0 ports. All the slots can work simultaneously.
The reader comes with a USB 3.0 connector, to ensure a read-write speed up to 5 GB/s.
Not too expensive compared with other readers, Warkky multi-card is a great deal if your computer lacks USB ports.
All of the above card readers have the maximum transfer file speed available today, due to the USB 3.0 or USB Type-C connectors. The budget should not be an issue as they cost less than 20$.
Depending on what type of connecter or SD slots you need, you can choose the one perfect for you.
Still having issues? Fix them with this tool:
If the advices above haven't solved your issue, your PC may experience deeper Windows problems. We recommend downloading this PC Repair tool (rated Great on TrustPilot.com) to easily address them. After installation, simply click the Start Scan button and then press on Repair All.