Does AVG installation freezes every time you try to run it? This article lists the most common elements which could cause these installation fails, as well as the actions you can perform to fix this issue.
AVG won’t install on Windows 10 [FIX]
- Your system is not compatible with AVG
- Your OS doesn’t support the current AVG version
- Delete your previous antivirus
- Some applications can block the install
- Run as Administrator
- Install the latest version of AVG
- Completely uninstall AVG before reinstall
1. Your system is not compatible with AVG
Check that your system complies with the minimum AVG requirements. Otherwise, the installation cannot be completed. AVG can run on any version of Windows, from the XP Service Pack 3 version to Windows 10. For more information on the minimum system requirements to install AVG, go to AVG’s support page.
2. Your OS doesn’t support the current AVG version
Check if your operating system is up to date. It may be missing some updates that can affect the configuration of AVG. To make sure that you’re running the latest Windows 10 updates, go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update and hit the ‘Check for updates’ button.
3. Delete your previous antivirus
Make sure you do not have another antivirus installed on your computer. If you missed this, delete the current antivirus and try to install AVG again. We also recommend you to use a dedicated tool to remove software leftovers.
Whenever you install a piece of software, it also installs several files and probably Registry entries in order to work efficiently. Even if you remove your previous antivirus, entries for it may still remain in the Registry and cause various issue with your new antivirus solution. So, make sure to remove absolutely all the files, folders and Registry entries of your previous antivirus.
4. Some applications can block the install
Restart your computer before installation. If it works for some time, there is a chance it may be running some applications that block the installation of the antivirus software. By rebooting, you make sure that when you try to install AVG, only the applications necessary for the operation will run.
5. Run as Administrator
Make sure you run the installation as Administrator. This way, you are allowed to execute any kind of install/uninstall operation at the system level. In case you’re getting any errors when using your Administrator account, these troubleshooting guides will help you fix them:
- Fix: ‘Your Administrator Has Blocked This Program’ in Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- Full Fix: Disabled Administrator Account on Windows 10, 8.1 and 7
- Please login with administrator privileges and try again
6. Install the latest version of AVG
Make sure you install the latest version of this antivirus software. If you bought AVG from the store some time ago and are now trying to install it from the original CD, problems may occur because that version may not be compatible with your system anymore. It is recommended to install the latest version published on the official website.
– Get the latest version of AVG from the official webpage
7. Completely uninstall AVG before reinstall
Make sure you clear all the files from the previous installation before trying to configure the antivirus again. There is a chance that some files became corrupt during installation, so a restart may solve the problem. To completely uninstall AVG from your computer, you need a version of AVG Remover Tool for your operating system. You can download this tool from the AVG website. Install the software following the instructions displayed. After the computer reboots, the tool will complete the uninstallation and from that moment on you can reinstall the antivirus. Do not forget to use the latest version published on their website.
- Download AVG Remover from the official website.
- Open the uninstaller and click on Continue button to start the process.
- Make sure you tick all the boxes and then click on Remove button.
- Click on Restart button to reboot your system and finish the process.
Possible errors that may appear:
- Error 0xC0070643
If this error occurs after re-installing antivirus (using the method from above), you should contact the Support department because this error is very general and AVG experts must analyze your situation in detail.
- Error 0x6001f916, 0xe001f90b, 0x6001f90b or 0xe001f916
This indicates that the system needs a reboot before continuing the installation. Restart the computer and the error should disappear.
- Error 0xe001d026 or 0xc00700652
This error warns you that another installation is running and blocks you from installing the antivirus. Wait until the installation finishes, restart your computer and restart the installation of AVG. If you do not know what installation was running, consider that it may be an update to the software or operating system.
- Error 0xe001d028
This error occurs when on your computer, different software with the same features as AVG (e.g. other antivirus, protections, firewalls) are located. Uninstall those programs, restart the computer, and run an AVG installation.
- Error 0xe0060006
This error indicates that there is a problem in the installation file of AVG. This can be solved by reinstalling the antivirus with the method specified above.
If none of these methods helped you, we recommend you contact the Support department of the company or spring for the $19.99 AVG service that will install and configure the antivirus for you. If you are not happy with it, you can request your money back within 30 days.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2016 and has been since completely revamped and updated for freshness, accuracy, and comprehensiveness.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix: Windows 10 Prevents Antivirus Installation
- How to fix Norton antivirus errors on Windows 10
- Fix: Avast Antivirus Issues in Windows 10