When opening files with the wrong program in Windows 8 will most likely prevent you from running that program correctly or it will not run at all. So if you want to watch a movie, listen to music or open a word document for work you will need to have the right program chosen to open those with.
Opening your files in a wrong program in Windows 8 is a common mistake but luckily Windows 8 comes with a very easy app to set as default a program of your choosing for a specific file that you want to open. This way every time you open a movie for example it will choose the program you will have set as default for movie type files.
Steps on how to set a default program for opening files in Windows 8
- Click (right click) on the file you want to open.
- Click (left click) in the context menu on the option that says “Open With”
- Click (left click) in the “Open With” menu that you opened on “Choose Default program”.
- A Window with the first line saying “How do you want to open this file?” will pop up.
- Be sure you have checked the box next to “Use this app for all *** files (“***” being the extension you have on the file. Example: “.txt” or “.avi” depending on the type of file you want to open).
- If you don’t have the program you want to run your file in that list click(left click) on “More options” situated in the lower side of the window.
- In the “More options” window you will have a bigger list of your Windows 8 operating system PC or laptop programs to choose the correct program you want to run your files with.
- If you don’t have your desired program in the “More options” list then you will have to click(left click) on:
“Look for an App in the store” which will lead you to the App store where you can download your desired program
“Look for another App on this PC” which will open your explorer to search your Windows 8 system for the desired program if you have already installed it.
There you have it. A simple way from where you can set the correct program for the files you want to open.