- Some Windows users reported several problems with their LG DVD drive on their PC.
- If the player is not working or it's not getting detected by the system, follow this guide to fix the problem for good.
- For any problems with your PC or software, visit our Tech Troubleshooting section for solutions.
- Our Windows 10 Hub is the place to start if you want to learn all there is to know about this OS.
Some Windows users who recently upgraded to Windows 10 reported that their original LG DVD player does not work on their Windows 10 PC.
This dilemma is a critical one because some software installation files are on the DVD disk; therefore, this will poise problems for installing such software or to play multimedia DVDs.
However, this problem is caused due to issues revolving around the hardware i.e. the LG DVD drive and the system drivers. On the other hand, this is bad news for LG computer users who have their own share of the problem.
What can I do if LG DVD Player is not playing AVI or sound?
- Update the DVD driver
- Test with CD
- Run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
- Uninstall additional ATA / ATAPI controllers
- Reinstall the DVD drive
- Check the DVD drive in BIOS
- Add another controller
- Create a new registry subkey
- Replace your DVD drive
What can I do if the LG DVD player won’t work on Windows 10?
1. Update the DVD driver
- Press the Windows Key + R.
- Type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
- Expand Display adapters.
- Right-click on the driver and click on Update driver software.
- Restart your PC.
Use an automated tool to update the DVD driver
There are several automated driver update solutions on the market; some of which are excellent while others impose malware on your system.
For this reason, the Windows Report team strongly recommends DriverFix to automatically download all the outdated drivers on your PC. This should easily fix the LG DVD player not working on Windows 10 issue.
All you need to do is to download and install DriverFix and start the tool afterward.
As soon as it opens it will run a complete scan on your system and confront your drivers with its cloud supported list to suggest the best solutions.
Fix your DVD driver quickly and automatically by using DriverFix! It will also fix all your driver problems.
2. Test with CD
Firstly, before affirming that the LG DVD player is not working on your Windows 10 computer, you need to ascertain if your DVD drive can play CDs. You can insert a music CD into the DVD drive to find out if it plays.
If the drive is able to play your music CD, that means that the DVD drive is working. Therefore, you will need to download DVD playback software to play DVDs.
However, if the DVD drive does not detect the CD, then you may proceed to other solutions enlisted below.
3. Run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter
- Tap on the Windows Key and click on the search bar.
- Type troubleshooting and click on Troubleshooting.
- Click on View All on the left panel of the screen.
- Click on Hardware and Devices
- Now, click on Next and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.
4. Uninstall additional ATA / ATAPI controllers
- Open Device Manager.
- Go to the IDE ATA / ATAPI controllers section and expand it.
- Uninstall all ATA Channel Controllers by right-clicking them and choosing Uninstall from the list.
- After you’ve uninstalled all ATA Channel Controllers, close Device Manager and restart your computer.
5. Reinstall the DVD drive
- Press Windows Key + X and choose Device Manager from the list.
- Go to the DVD / CD-ROM drives section, find your DVD drive driver, right-click it, and choose Uninstall device.
- When the confirmation message appears, click on Uninstall.
- Restart your computer and check if the issue has been resolved.
6. Check the DVD drive in BIOS
- Restart your computer
- Press the F1 key or any specified key to enter the BIOS (other keys such as F1, F12 or Delete may be used depending on your system)
- When you enter BIOS, navigate to the Storage tab, and then go to Device Configuration and press Enter
- Look for your CD/DVD drive under the Device Configuration subscreen
- Check to see if your DVD drive is enlisted among the drives. If not, reset the BIOS settings (instructions below)
Reset the BIOS settings
- Restart your computer.
- Press the F1 key or any specified key to enter the BIOS (other keys such as F1, F12 or Delete may be used depending on your system).
- Navigate to the Exit tab and select Optimal Defaults.
- Press Enter.
- Now press F10 to save the changes and restart your computer.
7. Add another controller
- Restart your Windows 10 PC.
- Right-click on the Start menu and select Command Prompt (admin).
- Type in the following command in Command Prompt and hit Enter:
reg.exe add "HKLMSystemCurrentControlSetServicesatapiController0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
- Reboot your computer.
Note: Before you proceed, ensure you backup your Windows registry in case you experience trouble afterward. Also, make sure that you are logged in Windows with an account that has administrator privileges.
8. Create a new registry subkey
- Log in to Windows with an account that has administrator privileges.
- Press Windows key + R.
- In the Run command box, type regedit and hit Enter.
- In the Registry Editor window, navigate to the following path in it:
- Right-click on atapi, select New, and then click Key.
- Type Controller0 and press Enter.
- Now, right-click on the Controller0 key, and then select New and select DWORD(32-bit) Value.
- Type EnumDevice1 and press Enter.
- Then right-click on EnumDevice1 and select Modify.
- Update the value to 1 in Value Data box and click OK.
- Close the Registry Editor and restart your PC.
9. Replace your DVD drive
You can easily get another DVD drive from Amazon, or a computer store in your vicinity. Ensure that the replacement is carried out by a professional computer engineer.
If you encountered any problems while trying out any of the solutions, do not hesitate to leave a comment below.