Fix: Windows 10 upgrade hangs on getting updates
Microsoft offered users the opportunity to upgrade to Windows 10 for free until July 29. The company announced that after this date, users need to shell out $119 to install the latest OS on their computers.
Six months have passed since the free upgrade offer expired, but the good news is that you can still install Windows 10 on your computer completely for free. All you need to do is download the Windows 10 update assistant on your machine, and follow the on-screen instructions – it’s that simple.
Last week, we upgraded our last Windows 7 computer to Windows 10 for free using Microsoft’s upgrade assistant. The only problem was that the upgrade process hung for hours on end, checking for updates. And this is how we got inspired to write this article.
Windows 10 upgrade got stuck on checking for updates [FIX]
The good news is that you can quickly fix this problem by following the troubleshooting steps listed below:
1.Press Windows+R > this launches the dialogue box.
2. Type services.msc > locate the Windows Update Service
3. Right-click it > disable the Windows Update Service
4. Go to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution > delete all the files
3. Go back to the Windows Update Service > restart it
4. Go back to the Windows 10 Setup window > the upgrade process will resume and successfully complete.
Nobody knows for sure why this upgrade loophole still exists. Microsoft has yet to issue any comments on this situation. Some rumors suggest that Microsoft wants to reward curious users who visit the upgrade page even today. After all, the company wants to see as many computers as possible on Windows 10, so why remove this opportunity? Either way, it’s highly unlikely that Microsoft simply forgot to shut down the Windows 10 upgrade channel.
RELATED STORIES YOU NEED TO CHECK OUT:
- Fix Windows Update errors with Microsoft’s dedicated tool
- Fix: “This update is not applicable to your computer” in Windows 10
- How to check Windows Update errors quick and easy
Microsoft Outlook 2016 does not support manual setup for an Exchange account directly from the add accounts interface. The add account now has only two […]
To prevent fraud and protect children from the online threat Xbox allows the parents to create Child account with restrictions. However, the parents can share […]
Recently, it has been revealed that Microsoft contractors are listening to users through Cortana and Skype Translator. This piece of information created a lot of […]