- If you’re familiar with photo editing, you must’ve heard about GIMP.
- Many users reported that GIMP eraser is not working, and in today’s article we’re going to show you how to quickly fix that.
- Want to learn more about GIMP? This dedicated GIMP article is a great place to start.
- Having additional problems with software? Our PC Software Hub has all the fixes that you need.
GIMP is a great freeware alternative to Photoshop, and although it doesn’t have certain features, it’s still one of the best image editors on the market.
However, many users reported that GIMP eraser is not working for them. This can be a problem, and in today’s article, we’re going to show you how to fix that once and for all.
Why is my eraser not working in GIMP?
What to do if GIMP eraser is not fully erasing?
If GIMP Is not fully erasing, it’s advised that you check your eraser settings and make sure that the opacity of the eraser is set to 100.
In case that doesn’t work, be sure to try one of the solutions below.
1. Add an alpha channel
- Select the layer whose contents you want to erase.
- Right-click the layer and choose Add Alpha Channel.
- After doing that, try to erase the content again.
This solution is pretty simple, and it can help you if the GIMP eraser is not erasing to transparent.
2. Check the layer and eraser settings
- Make sure that the proper layer is selected.
- Check the layer and make sure it’s not locked for editing. For the layer to be completely unlocked, all of these three icons need to be deselected.
- Make sure that you don’t have an area selected on your layer. Press Shift + Ctrl + A to deselect everything.
- Check eraser opacity, size, and hardness. Also, make sure that the Anti erase option is disabled.
These are just some general guidelines, but they might be helpful if GIMP eraser is not working with the alpha channel.
3. Reset the eraser tool to default settings
After doing that, the eraser settings will be restored to the default and the problem should be resolved. Keep in mind that this solution works only if the problem was caused by modifying the eraser settings.
4. Restart GIMP
- Close GIMP completely.
- Now, wait for a couple of moments.
- Start GIMP again.
Several users reported that certain glitch prevented them from using the eraser in GIMP, but after restarting the software, the problem was resolved for good.
Eraser is a pretty important tool in GIMP, and if the eraser is not working for you, hopefully, one of these solutions should help you fix the problem.